General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Question for 2000 -2005 MC Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Default Question for 2000 -2005 MC Owners

I was wondering how owners of Monte Carlos that have had them a while feel about the long term ownership of the car. Do you feel it has been a reliable car? A good investment? A car that can hold up over a few years and miles? My car is a 2007 and I still owe some money on it. I am wondering if I will be happy with the car 5 to 10 years from now. I am interested in your thoughts if you have owned one for a while.

Thanks!!

Old 11-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Yes! Yes and Yes! haha

I got an 03 different generation but same deal--almost.

Mine is very reliable, just had a few minor disturbances that amounted to less that $100 this past year and its got 112,xxx miles, not including normal GM maintenance recommendations and mods. Rides smooth and the Monte Carlo LOVES long trips lol.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Default i bought

my 02 ss with 44k now has 106 only replaced the crappy battery. other than that no problems except for the ones i made myself (topswap gone wrong )

Old 11-10-2009, 07:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My car is 9.5 years old. It has 165,xxx miles. It's amazing. A lot of the work I've done on it, wasn't because it was necessary but because I wanted to do it.

The biggest thing for me was the tranny, but I think any car will have that issue eventually. They go through a lot.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I love these cars so much I bought another one! I bought my 03 special order and I want to preserve it forever - it has not giving me any problems except for the already mentioned Delco battery that was replaced twice under warranty. The 05 is my DD and I am very blessed to be driving a 6th gen Monte Carlo year round.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:18 PM

Being a truck guy....this is one of the few cars that I would plan on keeping for a long time. I like the look, the way it handles, and the whine of the supercharger. All of my Pontiac friends love the Monte's seats and are looking in the junkyards for leather Monte seats. I have only had mine for afew months now and it is mostly garage keep...but I just can't wait for the weekends so I can take it out and drive it. Due to where I work it is not a good idea to have it as a daily driver...that is what I got my beatup old truck for. I personally kinda wish that I never test drove it so I wouldn't have the car payments now...but when I do drive it I remember why I am buying it. I really don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Default ....05 supercharged.......

...So far I really love my "new toy". I have only had it less than a month but like the previous message; I look forward to weekends and occasionally driving it to work. I drive a 96 S-10 as a daily driver. It, has 138,800 on it and still running strong. 4.3 V-6.
There does seem to be a slight vibration whenever I run over a minor bump. The steering may need adjusting ? Any Clues out there ?
These cars ( MC's ) will last for ever if we take care of them.
Change the oil, maintain it and Don't abuse it. I've see a 73 Pinto
nearly every day while going to work. That guy must be doing something right ?
Enjoy your MC and the investment will make a return for you.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM

I really appreciate all the replies. I feel good about my investment. I used to own a 1982 Monte Carlo with 4.4L V8 Engine back in the 90's. I have always liked the Monte Carlo. Ever since the new ones came out in 2000 I wanted one. Back in 2008, I found out 2007 was the last year this car would be made, so I bought a slighlty used 2007 model. I have enjoyed it very much and hope it will last for a long time. I had a few minor issues with it including passenger back rest needed to be repaired for a popping noise, driver seat front lifter motor needed to be replaced, traction control harness connectors to both front wheels needed to be replaced, plastic door panel for both sides needed to be replaced, and the battery needed to be replaced just a few weeks ago. I wish the stereo could get a little louder than it does and I have learned to live with a dented Chevy emblem on my steering wheel due to the previous owner getting mad and hitting hard (this is the new style air bag for Chevy steering wheels 06 and later).

I am not sure why they stopped making this car. It seems that a lot of people like them! Hopefully they will bring it back again in the future.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hahaha I hate those Chevy emblems in the center, because they dent way to easy. I dented mine too. But I kinda fixed it, so most people would never notice. I found the emblems on Ebay, and did a lot of grinding/ modding, and made it so that I could epoxy a new emblem over the old one. Looks 90% perfect. Its a little rough right around the edges, but its not noticable.

I have an 06, same generation as you, I bought new 2.5 years ago. I've put 88,000 miles on it since I bought it, and its been very reliable. It runs the same as it did the day I bought it. I've only had a water pump, and power steering pump go bad, which is not that big of a deal. I have confidence that my car will go for years to come, and i'm hoping it will go past 200,000 miles, which I think it will!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:24 PM

I appreciate the respones.. About what mileage did you experience the water pump and power steering pump problems? Did you have any AC issues?

Quick Reply: Question for 2000 -2005 MC Owners