General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Pricing Question--2000 SS Pace Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I would add $500 to a regular SS of the same year and mileage.
Obviously places like kbb.com would give you the standard SS pricing.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 AM

You would have to hire an indpendent appraiser to check out the Monte. The dealer is betting the buyer will not do any type of research.The dealer would make a big profit on someones ignorance of the real price. The specialty car market for the 6 gens has not matured enough at present. I f you have one of these models and is a daily driver that is ok. It will definetly reduce the value ie: scratches, dings,dents, rust, high mileage.A Monte that is garaged kept,low mileage in pristine condition will bring big bucks.

Last edited by 2xMonte; 12-14-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:54 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It all depends on the market. We had neighbors who special ordered an 88 Monte Carlo SS brand new from a local Chevrolet dealer - it was like brand new and with ridiculous low miles on it and loaded with every option - never seen rain. They could barely sell it for 10k.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 PM

The value of these cars are what a person is willing to pay. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Generally first gens are about the only models in the Monte Carlo line that have really increased in value. Once the smog controls started invading even the first gens the market started to devalue these cars. Age <> higher value depending on mileage, condition.

Last edited by 2xMonte; 12-14-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Wow that is overpriced. $3-4k maybe if it's in excellent condition and doesn't need brakes or tires.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 12-14-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM

OK, so, 7 opinions and not one offer of what I requested....

Does anyone know an objective source where I can get a realistic price on this car?
Best responses IMO:

kbb.com
nada.com
You would have to hire an independent appraiser to check out the Monte.
I thought there was one other book value (black book, I think?) that you may be able to look up.

I have never heard of any website online that tracks sales of all types of special edition cars, as you have tons of sources (dealer lots to specialty car auctions) and a wildly variable marketplace (compared to sales of standard edition cars). As was said above, if you think it may be worth more than the book values list it at- an independent appraiser may be your only option to get a ballpark on value. Obviously, with the economy doing how it is- there is no guarantee that if you ever resold it that you'd get all the extra markup money for it.

With that said, KBB shows just under $6k, and I checked most all relevant option boxes; with the dealer asking almost double that- I think they're insane - its never going to be a hot collector item being that the mileage is already very high on it.

I think this says it best:

The value of these cars are what a person is willing to pay.
The big thing is, it depends what you're going to use it for. As a personal collectors item, obviously the mileage is super high, and its likely that many things on the car are starting to wear out (and I imagine its not 100% flawless). To try and clean it up and flip it to a specialty collector- the price is so high, that you're going to have virtually no margin in it (obviously, as with any car bought from a dealer). To use it as a DD- it would be so much cheaper to just buy a regular monte and go from there and recreate pace car items yourself, heck you could probably almost buy 3 '00+ montes for $11k.

To me, it sounds like the dealer is just really proud of this car and they think that they will be able to get significantly over book value from someone who doesn't do their research first.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM

I would say go to autotrader.com and price it for your area might find you a better deal on there.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

7 Opinions and no responses-
You are on the best Monte Carlo forum and you have received responses telling you that the car is way overpriced. Its your money...Buy it. First hand knowledge from people who know the cars not some book. value is what one will pay and people just aren't paying it these days. If they want to sell it they will lower their price. I just bought a truck from a car lot and he had it reduced from $2900 to $2250. I offered him $1700 and it was a deal. Just goes to show. Lowball them, all they can say is NO.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 AM

no I don't know where but the option package 4 pace car was approx. 5000 extra dollars ..but if you want one I will sell you mine 57,341 miles 2000 taz editon has all stickers & iI have factory wheels just not on the car they are so fugily looking I'm in arizona come get it will sale at good price 928-219-4546 hm #

Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM

When I was looking at my Dale Jr last year to possibly buy, I never did find a source that gave a price for the special edition MC's. I just looked online at places like CL, eBay, autotrader and got an idea what people were asking for the special edition cars.

I bought my 2004 Dale Jr from the original owner and paid $8,500 for it with 87,800 miles on it. I knew it needed intake manifold gaskets and is why they came down from the $8,995 asking price. She would not come down on price lower than the $8,500.

When I got the loan for the car, my credit union said the car was worth $12,200 but I don't think that value was for the special edition part of the car.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Pricing Question--2000 SS Pace Car