General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Default Power

Hey new to the forum and was just wondering if anyone has had their motor rebuilt and bored (I have an 05 Tony Stewart edition) if so what do you think I would be looking at cost Wise and what would the bore come out to be?

Old 07-08-2017, 07:06 AM

Are you talking about a stroker kit??

This may help..

https://www.maceengineering.com.au/S...SUIT-V6-ECOTEC

EDIT: Be sure to do your own research on this..

Last edited by wht02monte; 07-08-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:58 AM

I have had my 3800 rebuilt and over bored.

Stock bore is nominally 3.80". As far as how big it will come out to be, 3.81" and 3.82" is common. You could probably get up to a .030 or .040" overbore if you had it ultrasonic thickness tested. Anything beyond that would need to be custom sleeved.

As for the cost, that will vary quite a bit by machine shop and what all you get done. I want to say I paid a little under $1500 for the machine work on my build and that was up to and including assembling the short block. Of course thats plus parts, pistons, cam, studs, etc etc. Certainly you could do it cheaper or a lot more expensive depending what you're looking to do.

If the thought is that you're going to gain power by doing a rebuild and over bore, don't bother. The small change in displacement has a negligible impact on power. If your current engine has issues, just get a junkyard engine. They're a dime a dozen at junkyards now. You could probably buy 3 or 4 shortblocks for the price of a single full rebuild.
​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 07-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:34 AM

I want a full rebuild and bore to gain power then I'm looking into getting a better supercharger and backing it up with a stronger transmission I want to be able to snap that speedo real quick

Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Crash0410
I want a full rebuild and bore to gain power
Not sure if you read the last paragraph in my post, but a rebuild and over bore will not gain you any noticeable power as long as your current engine isn't broken. If it is broken, just get a junkyard engine and save yourself money. If you want higher compression, just get an NA 3800 bottom end.

The problem is you can't really bore it far enough to have a significant impact on displacement. If you bore it too far, you start to lose the stability in the cylinder walls if you do end up making decent power.

then I'm looking into getting a better supercharger and backing it up with a stronger transmission
Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options for a better supercharger. These are about your only options:
-ported stock blower
-gen v blower (same displacement as stock, similar efficiency to a ported stock blower)
-CSC (kits no longer sold, would have to find used
-MP112 (kits no longer sold, would have to find used)
-whipple (adapters available, but has many difficulties)
-other custom - tvs, etc with custom made plate

Most people who want a lot of power for cheap on this platform go turbo.

I want to be able to snap that speedo real quick
That isn't particularly definitive. Can you tell us what your power goals are and what your budget is? Then we could help suggest some paths.