General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Post your Review of your Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

2 words " love it " =0)

Old 07-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey we all know how I feel about my Deuce Coupe.... nuff said!!!!
Wifey also loves her 04 SS monte too.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:53 AM
Default 1999 Monte Carlo LS

Owner’s Review: 1999 Chevy Monte Carlo LS
Engine: 3100 V-6, 4-speed auto
Colors: Metallic Pewter/Neutral cloth
Wheels: Optional 5-spoke aluminum sport wheels
Options: CD player

Initial Impressions
I bought my Monte Carlo in November 2010, mainly because I couldn’t afford to keep my Chrysler 300M. A longtime fan of the styling and mystique of the Monte Carlo name, I was happy this car was both ready and affordable. It was in surprisingly good condition for its age, especially since it was obvious the previous owner neglected it. There was very little (visible) rust, the paint was still fairly glossy, and the interior was in good shape, except for the driver’s seat, which was hashed (not surprising with the deeply bolstered bucket seats).

Performance/Economy/Features
Handling is nearly as responsive as my Chrysler 300M (which had the optional handling package). Compared to the Chrysler, I’ve found it requires a bit less effort in normal driving situations. Understeer creeps in during hard cornering, but since I make my grandmother look like Mario Andretti, it’s rarely an issue.

While I’ve never timed the acceleration, I’m guessing the car can reach 60 mph in about 30-45 seconds, but I really don’t care about acceleration. Fuel mileage averages between 25-30 mpg combined.

Ride quality is about what you’d expect with the 108 inch wheelbase. I describe it as “roady”. You get a good feel of the road, which is great for handling purposes, but does make the ride somewhat harsh, especially on the pothole-riddled streets here in the Twin Cities. On the other hand, a new stretch of highway is quite pleasant.

As with many Gen 5’s, the center console lid is broken, but luckily it wasn’t lost or thrown out. The rear defroster “works” (light goes on) but doesn’t “work work” (doesn’t actually defrost anything).

There are a few features I wish the car had. For instance, there is no interior trunk release, although there is a divet for the button on the underside of the dashboard. You’d think something like that would be standard on a Monte. Next, there is only a tachometer and temperature gauge. Full gauging is a must in this type of car. Finally, I wish the car had leather seats. The “neutral” tan cloth is comfortable but uninspiring. In a personal luxury car, why would you go with anything but leather? I do plan to swap out the seats in the future.

Repairs and Alterations
The following items have been replaced since I’ve owned the car: Both front wheel bearings (a decade of Midwestern winters made it a bear to get the old ones off), a coolant line elbow, the alternator, and various fuses. Also, we bled the power steering, which reduced, but didn’t eliminate, the whining noise.

Cosmetically, I painted the Chevrolet bowtie emblems red on the wheel hubs using nail polish, which holds up amazingly well. I also painted the grille and decklid emblems blue. I used Krylon Fusion gloss blue, which is just bright enough to stand out without looking silly. These small touches added a subtle but pleasant pop of color to all that…beige.

Overall, I’m happy with my Monte Carlo. Taken for what it is, a 140K-mile car that’s approaching its teen years, it’s about as good an example as I’ve seen in my neck of the woods (and I haven’t seen that many). Cleaned and polished, she’s a good looking 20-footer, and mighty fun to drive, even with the noisy power steering, the broken rear defroster, the huge blind spot created by the thick C-pillar, and the boring cloth interior. It’s still a Monte Carlo.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Hey we all know how I feel about my Deuce Coupe.... nuff said!!!!
Wifey also loves her 04 SS monte too.

Hi `Tadd, tell us again, we love hearing about your love for your Deuce : ) Thanks member's for your post(s), we enjoyed reading 4-Sure

Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 PM

Well for mine:
2005 Chevrolet MC LS

Pros:
The car looks sexy with the styling on the sides and front. The trunk lid is smooth and flowing like it was sculpted by an artist. The engine, while slow (up a hill, anyway) is very reliable, smooth, and fuel efficient. The handling is very responsive, thanks to a long life in NASCAR. The interior, while spartan looking, is comfortable, and it has a flowing dash panel. Stands out in the "Sea of Japan" roads here with almost every other car being a freaking Toyota, Honda, Mazda, or Nissan (excluding the SUVs and pickups, which are still from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge for the most part).

Cons:
The electrical system can be screwy, the bulbs in the Instrument Cluster and HVAC controls are known for failure (and non-replaceable, unless you retrofit it with LEDs, replace the whole panel, or get BBengineer to retrofit it with LEDs for you), the radio spits out my CDs every now and then (maybe due to heat), the engine is known for having faulty LIM gaskets (just like the 3800), and interior parts aren't the best fit and finish (various parts rattle like crazy when it's cold, the dash has warped in one spot, but fixable, thanks JB Kwik!) and the driver's door was a little too close to the left front fender and was rubbing.

A few adjustments to the door fixed that issue.
Verdict: I don't plan on getting rid of her any time soon, particularly with the stupid trend of new cars having high doors and tiny windows.(The Camaro for example..) Not to mention the last Monte Carlo was made in 2007.

Also like "Bruce All-Monte" said:
Mine is also a pre-bailout GM vehicle made by our neighbors to the north.

Last edited by 05MonteLS; 07-14-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 AM

I also love my Monte.I currently have an 03 ss and am in the process of getting an 02 limited ed. ss ready for paint to trade my 03 for.
My favorite thing about my Monte is everything.
My complaints:
1.the stearing wheel should have been designed so you can rest your hand on the bottom of it.
2.the seat belts should of had the ratcheting type so you can pull them off your shoulder while driving.
3.nasty blind spot on pass.side.
My Monte has the tan leather interior which doesn't get to hot in the summer.one of my favorite things is the fact that im getting approx.32.6 mpg.also since I have long hair,this is one of the first cars I've had that I can put down both front windows and not have hair blowing in my face constantly.I love these montes enough to drive em till they die then put a new motor in it and keep on getting it.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

1997 Monte Carlo Z34

Pros:
The car is very solid for being 14 years old. The engine has lots of power up top. Will plant you in the seat at 3500rpm and above and keeps pulling to 7 grand. Will still roast the tires on command, even with wider than stock tires. Handles good for a 3500lb car. Will run down the highway at 100+ mph just as smooth as at 50mph. Comfortable, well laid out interior.

Cons:
Lacks low end torque. Will constantly downshift while cruising up a hill. Needs to wind up a little before reaching the power band. Wouldnt be a problem if I didnt have to deal with the PA hills. 4 speed trans is weak and oddly geared. Leaves you at odd dead spots and forces you to make the car downshift to pick up speed. Has a very large turning circle. I have a hard time sometimes making U turns. The brakes are sub par on all W bodies if you ask me. I have yet to drive one that really instills confidence even with 4 wheel discs and ABS.

Thats my review

Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Cool My '03 SS

Bought my '03 SS in 2006. At the time of purchase it had 52,000 plus miles on it. As of this writing, it now has 192,000 and change. The inside and out is pampered with "Top Shelf" Meguiar's products. Lubrication and filteration duties are performed with Quaker State Full Synthetic motor oil and Wix filters. Obviously I drive quite a bit ( Texas is a REALLY big state) and I make many more trips out of state to NASCAR races. I've shown it at several local car shows and always come home with a trophy. Under the rear-deck lid I even have Kyle Petty's autograph in silver Sharpie.
I can't hawk the prowess of these 6th generation Monte Carlo's enough. I even managed to get my 71 year old dad into a '00 Pace Car last week! I know I know, I need to get some pics up for everyone to see but it's been kinda' hard to get the keys from him since he's been bitten by the Monte Bug...LOL!
Bottom line, It's a dang fine car and a blast to drive. It may not have the horsepower of a 2012 Camaro ZL-1 or Challenger SRT/392 but it sure turns heads and can hold it's own in the esses.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Well as you all know. I LOVE this car. Sits next to it's sister the Chevelle. Love the interior of this car. The styling is out of this world. It has every feature anyone would want in a car. Easy to drive. Real easy to look at. Inside & out. The trunk is huge not that it gets used for anything ... Only thing I'm sorry about.....Is that I didn't buy one sooner. Big change since our 76 model. I'd love to have another one. Maybe a 6 cyl for my wife. Mmmmm? Wonder if she would sell her Cobalt for one of these ????????

Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

trading it in ASAP for a stang, worst car I have ever owned! Way to many issues, TPMS, trac control, hubs are JUNK! Do I need to say any more???

Quick Reply: Post your Review of your Monte Carlo