General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Post-Factory Warranty anxiety!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
Default Post-Factory Warranty anxiety!!

Well, it finally happened. I just broke the 36,000 mile mark on my 2005 LT. Thus far, she (Sylvia, I call her) has been an obedient and discreet mistress, a good friend to talk to and my partner in crime (figurativley, of course!). I decided to post this thread to let everyone know what my experiences have been up to this point.

At about 7,000 miles, I had to have my front brake pads replaced due to excessive wear. Warranty repair, no big deal. About 5,500 miles later, they had to be done again. This time, they replaced the pads and calipers. They found that the passenger side caliper was not clamping evenly. No trouble since. In fact, it is just as of this week that I am hearing the squeaking sound of the pads telling me the time is near again. I think they had a pretty long run. The usual oil and air filter replacements/cleaning and oil changes were done every 3,000 miles or so. Windshield wipers replaced at about 27,000 miles. Original tires are still in good shape.

After 30,000 miles, I finally had the dash pad replaced (remember the many threads we had about warping dashboards?) and the steering wheel volume control button replaced (the painted-on labling had worn off). All warranty repairs as well. Then, the darndest thing happened. My power steering pump went out and had to be replaced. That was about 3 weeks ago. Warranty covered it completely.

Now, I am outside of the factory warranty and covered by my extended warranty for rest of my 5 yr/60,000 mile plan. Hopefully all goes well. I am optimistic. Plans for the very near future include Ventshade taillight covers (I just ordered them today) which I will paint to match body colour, and new 18" wheels (looking at some black ones on tiresdelivered.com for pretty cheap). After these, I plan to work on the exhaust (u-bend delete and new mufflers, for now).

I wish everyone happy motoring and many miles on your Montes.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Default RE: Post-Factory Warranty anxiety!!

Wow. Good luck and hope everything still stays going!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Did you get the GM "bumper to bumper?"

Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member

Yeah, I believe we went with the Major Guard coverage for the 5yr/60,000 mile term. But you know how they are after the factory warranty epxires...they scrutinize everything more. Within that 3yr/36,000 mile time frame, they just replace it, no question asked. After that, they are a little more stringent.

Even my Service Writer said so. He told me that I should take care of any problems I see, even the smallest ones, before I hit 36,000 miles. After that, things like faded trim and the like are not normally covered. So, my dash pad and steering wheel volume switch may or may not be covered.

I like the new warranty policy GM released on their '07+ vehicles. I just a bought a new 2007 Trailblazer for my wife (got rid of the old '03 Saturn VUE) and got Major Guard 6yr/100,000 bumper to bumper coverage. Under the new policy, EVERYTHING is covered for the length of the warranty, even the little trim stuff.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

If you bought your Major Guard at the time of purchase, you didn't buy an Extend Warranty, you bought a Warranty Upgrade... Meaning it went into effect the second you signed the contract. However, even if you purchased it after the fact, a Major Guard still covers everything just like the original warranty.

Your service writer knows that as well... But he wanted to put a little scare into you, so that you would return more often! You should not see any difference in coverage! They are not going to scurtinize anything any more than they did before... They get paid the same by GMPP and know that if the part is not covered, you are less likely to have it repaired... so it will be covered!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:30 PM

I need to take mine in asap ...
I need my rotors fixed they're warped, and i keep hearing this weird noise when i turn the steering wheel ...
I only got 16k miles on the car ...

Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 PM

I just turned over 42k on my Monte after about 1.8k miles of driving this weekend and the only problem I have is the tire preasure sensor, and that only messes up when it's over 75 degrees. I went in to get it fixed right before warranty was up and it was good until a few thousand miles out of warranty, dealer probably didn't do what that service bulletin called for. Other than that everything is good, except for the 90mph speeding ticket...

Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member

If you bought your Major Guard at the time of purchase, you didn't buy an Extend Warranty, you bought a Warranty Upgrade... Meaning it went into effect the second you signed the contract. However, even if you purchased it after the fact, a Major Guard still covers everything just like the original warranty.

Your service writer knows that as well... But he wanted to put a little scare into you, so that you would return more often! You should not see any difference in coverage! They are not going to scurtinize anything any more than they did before... They get paid the same by GMPP and know that if the part is not covered, you are less likely to have it repaired... so it will be covered!
Really! That's good to know, that it is the same warranty. I was under the impression that it was less coverage for some reason.

Yes, I knew it wasn't an "extended" warranty, per se. It was an upgrade from the standard 3/36 to 5/60.

Hey Twisted, that noise from the steering wheel is your Intermediate Steering Shaft. Many 6th gen Montes have had that problem. Not a big deal at all.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigg J

I just a bought a new 2007 Trailblazer for my wife
Moderator Bigg `J - Jason -,
LOL `Jason, I don't think it's Post-Factory Warranty Anxiety
I think it's Post New Daddy Anxiety
I was happy to read that you have an extended warranty for protection on your 05LT.
Please post pic's/reviews on your new 07 Trailblazer : )
How do you like it ? I hear they are great for baby seats
The best to you, & yours, my `super net friend,
Peace/Happiness,
`Space

Old 10-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Bigg J

Yeah, I believe we went with the Major Guard coverage for the 5yr/60,000 mile term. But you know how they are after the factory warranty epxires...they scrutinize everything more. Within that 3yr/36,000 mile time frame, they just replace it, no question asked. After that, they are a little more stringent.

Even my Service Writer said so. He told me that I should take care of any problems I see, even the smallest ones, before I hit 36,000 miles. After that, things like faded trim and the like are not normally covered. So, my dash pad and steering wheel volume switch may or may not be covered.

I like the new warranty policy GM released on their '07+ vehicles. I just a bought a new 2007 Trailblazer for my wife (got rid of the old '03 Saturn VUE) and got Major Guard 6yr/100,000 bumper to bumper coverage. Under the new policy, EVERYTHING is covered for the length of the warranty, even the little trim stuff.
My Goodwrench guy tells me that even if a **** or piece of trim breaks, they'll fix it no matter what.

It's no skin off of their back unless GM penalizes them for taking warranty repairs after 36k???

Quick Reply: Post-Factory Warranty anxiety!!