General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Please help!!! want to install new amplifier.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:42 AM
Default Please help!!! want to install new amplifier.

Hi everyone!! My name is Mike I have a 2001 Monte carlo SS. I want to eliminate the stock amp and put in a aftermarket amp. I already put in aftermarket head unit. Is there any way I can use wires off of the wire harness going into the stock amp and put them into the aftermarket amp? I know you can get a harness to cancel out the stock amp but is there any way to use those wires? Thanks!

Old 06-07-2017, 10:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am not a car audio expert, but I don't see why you couldn't. The amp has Left/Right input wires direct from the head unit, plus ground, power and Left/Right/Front/Rear output wires.
I personally would shy away from cutting the wires and instead build a harness. GM used two different amps from '00-'05. One connector is the same as the radio connector and the other one is different depending on which model amp. You may need to pull pins from connectors to build a harness.

Google for the pin outs of your amp and that should help.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 AM

if you know anything about stereos, just run new wires. trust me, i tried disabling he stock amp and it was a wiring nightmare. just run new wire. it will save u a huge headache.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 AM

I have a diagram around here from a long time ago where I labeled each wire coming out of the amp.. Id say its probably from 2010..

You need to at the very least, run new power and ground wires..

For some its easier to just run all the wires. For me, I used the stock wires and ran a new power and ground..

Old 06-12-2017, 05:38 PM

I ran new wires up to where the radio harness is but it is still playing off the radio. Does anyone know what the wire colors are coming off of the front 2 speakers before they get tied up with the radio harness?

Old 06-13-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by nutzz248
I ran new wires up to where the radio harness is but it is still playing off the radio. Does anyone know what the wire colors are coming off of the front 2 speakers before they get tied up with the radio harness?
OK, I dug DEEEEP for my old wire write up.. If yours is like my old 02 ls the front two speakers are as follows,

Right front + light green - dark green

left front + tan kinda orange -grey

Each separate speaker has the + and - twisted together to avoid confusion in colors..

Hope this helps..

Old 06-13-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
OK, I dug DEEEEP for my old wire write up.. If yours is like my old 02 ls the front two speakers are as follows,

Right front + light green - dark green

left front + tan kinda orange -grey

Each separate speaker has the + and - twisted
together to avoid confusion in colors..

Hope this helps..

Awesome thank you. It's way to hot to mess with it today but I will be doing that as soon as it cools down within the next couple days. Thank you!!

Search this Thread