General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): PCM Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default PCM Needed

I recently had my PCM replaced and it has gone out again. This time around should I go through the dealer to get it replaced? Or does anyone know where I can get a reliable PCM that is programmed and ready to go?

Old 02-07-2017, 08:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

That is very abnormal to have the PCM fail multiple times (especially if you are not messing around with it).
Replacing the PCM is not a big deal. You can get a junk yard one. Technically as I know, you should get the VIN updated in the PCM to match your car, but I have heard some people successfully swap the PCM without doing that and just doing a security relearn (which is a process of cycling the key, no special tools needed).
I would recommend looking at your current PCM for the "service number", punch that in on eBay and see if you can find one with that number from a car with that engine.

I do some limited PCM programming services. I can re-program a salvage PCM with your VIN, correct software for your car and minor tweaks if you wanted. Here's the link to my services:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/

Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member

I took my car to the dealer and their telling me it's not the PCM it may be a wiring issue. I'll let you know what happens.