General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Or they may not follow Nascar so they don't want to buy a car representing a driver (like they are a fan of the driver). Just an extra note on that topic.

I personally that the Nascar driver editions of the Monte may appeal to only target audiences....
Where as the Pace Car and SS versions are still generic enough that it would not turn away a buyer (unless they simply don't like the decals).

I would be an example of that. I LOVE the blue and silver Monte look (I fell in love with the blue/silver '03 Pace Car, but was not willing to spend the money people wanted for the Pace Car). In tune with that, the Jeff Gordan Monte Carlo is basically the same exact blue/silver Monte, with Gordan's sig on the trunk, special 24 badging and flame decals on the front. Really cool car, looks great, but I don't follow Nascar, as a result, I don't have a "favorite" driver. I would shy away from the Jeff Gordan Monte soley because I don't want people going "So, you like Jeff Gordan?" (or other similar scenarios). Not saying I wouldn't buy it, but I really wouldn't want the Jeff Gordan badging (which to de-badge it of those ruins what that Monte is, and I personally would have some trouble doing that).

A fair bit of truth to that. I was always a Nascar fan, but was not a Dale Jr. fan until I bought this car. Then I was a Junior fan by default. I didn't really have a choice, but I embrassed it. Then I ran away with it.

But Junior's cool.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Simple answer: lowers it.
X2

I'm even into modding cars, and I don't like buying something that's pre-modded- mostly because you don't know the quality of the work or parts used. Then with engine mods- you don't need more power driving around like a normal person- if I see a car with even a handful of mods (say a basic 3.4" setup on a gtp)- I assume its had the snot beat out of it because the person wasn't happy with WOT performance. Not saying the normal person doesn't floor it every now and then- but its far more likely to have been abused if the person was doing engine mods. Plus, it always gets me thinking- how far had it been modded. A lot of people do a demod major mods before they sell to get as much money back as they can.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
A fair bit of truth to that. I was always a Nascar fan, but was not a Dale Jr. fan until I bought this car. Then I was a Junior fan by default. I didn't really have a choice, but I embrassed it. Then I ran away with it.

But Junior's cool.
I didn't even follow Nascar before I bought my Junior edition. I knew the major drivers names. But never followed the sport. I thought the Junior edition Monte looked cool as hell. I too became a Junior fan by default. People see you getting out of a car with a racecar driver's them on it, they naturally assume you're a fan and want to talk with you about him. After the first couple people asked me about Junior's last race, I figured I better at least start following the sport so I can somewhat know what I'm talking about.

I guess I'm one of the few people that bought the car because of the "modifications".

I was in the market to replace my money-pit Grand Am. I wanted a more reliable car with the 3.8 litre engine. I heard the 6th gen Montes were a very reliable car. I liked the look of them too. I had it narrowed down to 2 or 3. I chose the Junior edition because the stripes looked cool.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I didn't even follow Nascar before I bought my Junior edition. I knew the major drivers names. But never followed the sport.
I'm the opposite on this, I am a huge Nascar fan and wish to this day that I would have bought an "Intimidator" My friend at work bought an "Intimidator" and when I saw my 06 Monte I had to have it I wish I had the money now to buy the "Intimidator" that is for sale....

Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

There's a Chevy dealer not too far from me that has a 2002 Dale Earnhardt edition. Like Dustybird3's car.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
X2

I'm even into modding cars, and I don't like buying something that's pre-modded- mostly because you don't know the quality of the work or parts used. Then with engine mods- you don't need more power driving around like a normal person- if I see a car with even a handful of mods (say a basic 3.4" setup on a gtp)- I assume its had the snot beat out of it because the person wasn't happy with WOT performance. Not saying the normal person doesn't floor it every now and then- but its far more likely to have been abused if the person was doing engine mods. Plus, it always gets me thinking- how far had it been modded. A lot of people do a demod major mods before they sell to get as much money back as they can.
Good point. I wasn't even thinking about end-user/driver-abuse! Or what other mods the car may have had prior to it being put up for sale (which would also stress the drive train further).

Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 AM

I'm not a nascar or JR fan. I bought my monte because I was looking for a car with a supercharged series 2 or 3 3.8 liter. I can upon jr at the dealer and loved it. Low milage, fully loaded, Series 2 S/C, awesome paint job and it was in my price range. It was perfect. I took it for a ride and I was sold. The nascar theme is just an added bonus. I get asked all the time about the paint job, and I just say it came that way from the factory

Old 11-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by rj
I buy cars as lifers as well.

That's the reason I've owned the same car for 38 years now. (plus it's my very FIRST car)

Generally when they leave, there isn't much left of them. I tend to pull off every and any thing I think I can re-use.

Same here- I had my '82 Olds 98 until Feb. 2006. My family bought it new, passed it down to my sister, which passed it on to me. I also grew up with that car. I had to let her go because it was breaking down almost every day. That car had two things going for it in the later years- age, and the dreaded 3 words ("Computer Command Control") that made me cuss when it broke down. 4th gen MC owners know what I mean.. My Monte is her successor. Also, what's the make/model of the 38 year old car?

Old 11-14-2010, 06:31 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think the mod that lowered my cars value the most was debadging the ss badges. So leave those on haha

Old 11-14-2010, 06:37 PM

i am a car keeper till the doors fall off or the engine and trans and body jus falls apart when i shut the door. but if you are going to sell a moded car it is very hard to do if you are drealer trade it the dealer will give you a 100 back for the blue book when it is around 4-5k estimated. expecially if it was babied and have all the paper work for the records. on the other bad news is they also can turn it around and say it is a limited type of vehicle that they did and sell it for much higher than what a person will get for a trade. on the bright side is if you come across a car that has been moded you can ask them to lower the price drastically and be loud about it if they say no and say why are you selling junk do you hear bottom engine nock aka bad berrings on the bottom side.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted