General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinions on purchase of '85 SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Default Opinions on purchase of '85 SS

Ok enthusiast I am currently at crossroads about purchasing an '85 SS from an acquaintance. It's been parked up for about 3 months because the owner hasn't had time or money for the parts. Finally got to speak with him he was originally $4500 (not gonna happen)!!! He asked me for an offer and I said I have $3500...he said he would take it. Since then he's discovered that I am a personal trainer and wants me to be his trainer. If he takes another $900 of the price he can get the max amount sessions.

Here is a list of things wrong with the car and things I noticed the car needs and possibly will need:

Tired and Rims...he had 26's originally on there(just disrespectful)

Might possibly need some suspension work after finding out about the 26's

Exhaust can be cleaned up some.

Edellbrock carburetor is missing parts

front bumper cracked

Dashboard face plate cracked around the radio

Paint job

Window roll handles missing

Driver's side door panel broken

Shift cable broken and needs replacing.

I'm going to make another run through of the car and see what else potentially. The car runs fine and starts up quickly. I own '03 LS and it was a project car. Obviously it was much easier to find parts for it. I'm hesitant cuz I realize parts for an '85 are harder to come across and more expensive.

My question guys is...should I talk him down more? What's reasonable to pay for a car in this condition and what would you pay or do in this situation?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 AM

Its relative my friend!, I had an "84 and a "87 ss both were great cars,check the book value as they don't hold a whole bunch in that shape.,paint work in itself is gonna cost a bit depending how much quality you do! should be plenty of used parts out there? and a lot of aftermarket available,basic 305 engine I think,700R tranny? I traded my "87 back in "97 cause I had kids,and the clear coat was shot and to do it right was gonna cost like 2500$ so I traded for a kid/Drum hauler..."89 Ford Bronco II !!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by claydoh
Its relative my friend!, I had an "84 and a "87 ss both were great cars,check the book value as they don't hold a whole bunch in that shape.,paint work in itself is gonna cost a bit depending how much quality you do! should be plenty of used parts out there? and a lot of aftermarket available,basic 305 engine I think,700R tranny? I traded my "87 back in "97 cause I had kids,and the clear coat was shot and to do it right was gonna cost like 2500$ so I traded for a kid/Drum hauler..."89 Ford Bronco II !!
Hmm, ok...well I will say the engine looks decent and actually sounds solid. Tranny seems solid as well. That's most important. I paid $2300 for my '03 and have since put about $4000-$5000 into it. I'm probably going to drop at "least" that much in the '85 if I get it since this would be more street racing as well.

Thanx for the advice bro...What kind of aftermarket did you have on your 84 and 87? Or were they all OEM parts?

Old 07-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I'd walk away from it. You can get pretty decent 4th gens for that price range. For what you describe you are probably at 5-7k more into it depending on what options you go for.