General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Opinions/Advice Needed for 2 MC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017
Default RESOLVED: Opinions/Advice Needed for 2 MC Problems

Hi there,

I have two questions that have been on my mind for a while with my Monte Carlo 2004 LS:

Question #1: How easy is it to replace the light inside my lock button on the driver's side? Are the lights replaceable, or do I need to buy a whole new lock button? The light inside of it is burnt out as shown below.

Question #2: I notice a lot of play when turning my steering wheel. It's a lot looser than I'd like it to be. I feel like this is also the reason that it can be difficult to keep my car driving straight without it wanting to turn left or right at any tiny bump.

When I'm driving 65-70+ MPH on the highway, I notice my car likes to try and move to the left and right, especially when hitting the tiniest of bumps, causing me to hold on for dear life.

Even going over speed bumps slowly, my steering wheel will start turning in different directions, whereas in other cars I've driven, the steering wheel isn't affected nearly as bad, if at all, when going over bumps.

Ive replaced the tie rods, tires, have done a wheel alignment recently, and struts, and this is still happening. This happened before I replaced these items too. What do I need to replace to fix this? I've never had this happen in any other cars I own except the MC. Is this a sway bar issue? A steering wheel knuckle issue? Do I need to tighten something on the steering wheel? Or is this normal for the MC?

Thanks again, MCF!

-Bessie

Last edited by 04MonteCarloLS; 04-21-2017 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Resolved!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:04 AM

On the button you can pop that rocker off and I think the bulb is soldered in. You'd want to go to a radio shack or something to match it and solder a new one in. It might be easier to buy a new button though.

I just did a quick google search for it and here it is at autozone Duralast Power Door Lock Switch SW3763 - Read Reviews on Duralast #SW3763

for the wobble, something isn't right there. Who did the work? You or a shop?

Old 03-31-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by WBody
On the button you can pop that rocker off and I think the bulb is soldered in. You'd want to go to a radio shack or something to match it and solder a new one in. It might be easier to buy a new button though.

I just did a quick google search for it and here it is at autozone Duralast Power Door Lock Switch SW3763 - Read Reviews on Duralast #SW3763
Thanks for the info. I agree, might be easier just to get a new button.

Originally Posted by WBody
for the wobble, something isn't right there. Who did the work? You or a shop?
A shop did the work. This has been happening before I even got my MC taken care of at the shop. I was hoping new tires would fix the problem, and they've certainly helped, but the problem is still bad.

There's a lot of play in the steering wheel, which makes it extremely easy for it to easily turn when the car hits a small/large bump.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Is the rack good? Maybe it is worn out.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rack is an option, but I would check the sway bar end links and the swap bar itself. Sadly, these sway bars are known to rot and crack.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Rack is an option, but I would check the sway bar end links and the swap bar itself. Sadly, these sway bars are known to rot and crack.
I will check that as well. Could this be an Intermediate Steering Shaft issue as well? The steering wheel is pretty loose for my tastes.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Ok, I've done some research, and sway bars seem to have knocking noises when they go bad. I have definitely had a knocking noise since my struts were replaced. How do I know whether the links, the bar itself, or both are bad?

Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM

the bar rusts away as far as I know especially for northerners, there are some bushings holding it to the frame. the links have a rubber boot on them and they articulate from a ball joint. I suggest you have a look - you're generally looking for excessive movement in the components, dry rubber or places where grease goes like a rubber boot with a zerk fitting, ect.

At any rate, the parts are not expensive to replace. I think some new bushings might be $15 and new links look to be about $25 ea online.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I doubt the ISS is involved in this issue. If it were, you probably would have no steering.

Sway bar and sway bar end links are all visual inspection. Typically when the sway bar rots and breaks, it's pretty close the end links. I have seen one rotted all the way through, I saw another rotted half way (when the bar is crimped at the end to attach to the end links, part of the crimp broke free, I wanted to try welding it back together before it stressed the rest of the bar, I never got a chance to try it).

Slight correction from Wbody's post. The rear sway bar has end links with ball joints. If those ball joints have failed, get MOOG replacements (they are not just good replacements, but thicker connecting rod, makes for an upgrade and unlike the original links, they have grease fittings). Those links connect the sway bar to part of the rear knuckle if I recall.

The front sway bar end links have rubber (or poly) bushings, washers sleeve and a nut/bolt setup connecting it all. If those have failed it can be one of 4 bushings missing or the end link completely snapped.

Here is a link of when I upgraded my front sway bar end links and bushings:
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Front Sway Bar Bushings

I hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:07 AM

The issue has been resolved!

After taking it to a buddy, he checked out the car and found that the issue was both the left and right lower control arm bushings. I'll have to take a picture of them because of how destroyed they were.

Thanks all for your input and help. I appreciate it.