General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Onstar Upgrade to Digital

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 70monte1
I was checking out the module in the trunk just for the heck of it and discovered all of the wires were disconnected to the module. I wonder what that means? I plugged them all back in to see if I get a CEL or something. The light on the mirror is a steady green so supposedly the system is ok. I never noticed there was supposed to be a light on the mirror until I plugged everything back in.

Wayne

That is strange....maybe the previous owners unplugged it after the digital switchover because they knew it wouldn't work anymore. My wires were plugged in and I always had a green light on my mirror before the upgrade. Let us know how your upgrade goes. I'm sure everything will go smooth.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:12 PM

I drove the car about 60 miles with no issues or trouble codes so who knows why it was unplugged. My appointment is at 10 am in the morning and I will let you know how it went.

Wayne

Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Well, I'm back. The Onstar upgrade is completed. It took right at an hour. They only charged me the $199 and not the $15. They told me to wait 24hrs to set up the phone service and get my phone number. The service manager also said I had 15 months of Onstar service instead of 12 because they give three months free.

I don't know if I have any free phone minutes or not. I forgot to ask. I'll ask Onstar when I set up everything. How long did it take to get your phone number? How long did you wait before setting up your phone stuff.? Thanks.

Wayne

Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll probably go ahead and get this done now - this thread makes me jealous! I thought the switch over entailed them putting the "shark fin" antenna on. I don't mind the shark fin, but I don't want 2 different antenna on there. Even when they remove the old one, a bracket still remains on the rear windshield. I have seen this on cars.

If it's not going to mess up the cars appearance then I'm in!

Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 PM

The upgrade does not get you the sharkfin antenna. They just replace the inside and outside connector on the rear glass and the antenna mast itself with one that is similiar to the original one. You will have the same number of antenna's as before.

I just got done activating my account and setting up my account online. I have to call back in a few hours to get my phone number.

They gave me 60 free minutes of calling time and 15 months of Safe and Sound. The first three months includes the navagation and everything else and then it goes to the regular Safe and Sound.

I don't know if I will buy any additional phone time because I have a cell phone that is with me most of the time. For some reason, I could not find thier phone rate plans on their website. The Onstar advisor told me that they are offering some very good rates for first time customers and they will tell me about them when I make the call to get my phone number.

Wayne

Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 PM

The upgrade does not get you the sharkfin antenna. They just replace the inside and outside connector on the rear glass and the antenna mast itself with one that is similiar to the original one. You will have the same number of antenna's as before.

I just got done activating my account and setting up my account online. I have to call back in a few hours to get my phone number.

They gave me 60 free minutes of calling time and 15 months of Safe and Sound. The first three months includes the navagation and everything else and then it goes to the regular Safe and Sound.

I don't know if I will buy any additional phone time because I have a cell phone that is with me most of the time. For some reason, I could not find thier phone rate plans on their website. The Onstar advisor told me that they are offering some very good rates for first time customers and they will tell me about them when I make the call to get my phone number.

Wayne

Glad the update went smooth. They just told me to wait a little while push the phone button and say "my number" and my car would tell me. That's exactly what I did and it worked. I set my account up at like 9 at night and by 8 the next morning I had my number. You could try it now just to see if your car has had it's number assigned to it yet. They won't tell you about the monthly plans and they aren't listed on there website either. So if you are intersted in those you have to specifically ask. They gave me the same deal as you with the 15 months and 3 free months of directions and connections. I had to pay the full $214 though. I bought the monthly unlimited minutes even though I always have my cell phone cause here in Maryland holding a cell phone while driving is illegal. You must have hands free.

Last edited by MonteMan92; 07-01-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 PM

I got my phone number this afternoon. I don't know why they didn't charge me the $15 and I didn't ask.

Since I don't drive this car everyday, I don't know if I will buy any additional minutes. I'm still undecided.

Wayne

Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 PM

I got my phone number this afternoon. I don't know why they didn't charge me the $15 and I didn't ask.

Since I don't drive this car everyday, I don't know if I will buy any additional minutes. I'm still undecided.

Wayne

Sounds like your all good to go! I wouldn't ask about the $15 either lol. Enjoy your ride! I need to figure out what's wrong with mine before I get to enjoy it again......gut feeling says BCM but anyway. Let me know if you encounter any issues since the upgrade has been done. I am sure you won't have any though.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Thanks. What kind of warranty does this new module have since I didn't get any warranty paperwork with my upgrade.?

Wayne

Old 07-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks. What kind of warranty does this new module have since I didn't get any warranty paperwork with my upgrade.?

Wayne

They gave me a whole sheet on warranty information and it says that all of the onstar equipment listed below is covered by a one year warranty that starts from date of installation.

Onstar Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM)

Onstar antenna (GPS and Cellular)

Onstar 3 button assembly (On rear view mirror)

Onstar microphone

Any cabling connecting the above components.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Onstar Upgrade to Digital