General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Oil Level Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Oil Level Sensor

Just noticed my car started flashing "oil level low, add oil" and was surprised because my oil life read 63% and my stick showed no signs of low oil. I tried to reset the oil life (without changing oil) just to try and confuse it but still gave me the message. I'm thinking maybe a bad oil level sensor? Maybe oil burning? I know these LS4's are notorious for that but I'm not getting that cloudy smoke out of the exhaust. I did notice a bit of smoke come out when I pulled the dipstick out but didn't think anything about it. Never noticed any drips on the floor after I park it for a few hours...I'm curious how expensive and how difficult it would be to tackle down the sensor on these bad boys? Any way I can be sure if it's the sensor or not? Thanks!

P.S I revived a thread or 2 about this issue but didn't get any replies so I thought what the heck lol

Old 10-19-2015, 10:05 PM

You coulda just pmd me man lol, anyhow it's pretty easy to replace, and it's literally on top of the engine, I replaced mine when I got the ls4, like within the same week lol, but uh you'll need a special socket, and the sensor itself, all in all under a 50 dollar repair, if even, and about 10 mins to do it... I'll take a pic for u tommarrow if I remember. Did u ever get that cooler installed?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member

Haha I should have! I was trying to look it up on YouTube but no luck. I think what you're talking about is the oil pressure sensor, but I think the one I need is the oil level sensor??

I am actually placing the order for the cooler this Friday! Pretty excited so believe me ill be expecting pictures and instructions from you soon on that too! Lol

Last edited by S.O.G.; 10-20-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:49 AM

Hm I would think those would be the same, I remember when I replaced mine that stopped flashing up for me and it kinda caused a small oil leak at first at the sensor spot but changing it fixed it...and what kinda cooler are you ordering? I would recommend the b&m super cooler, it's pretty awesome and my car doesn't slip or anything now that I have it, it feels amazzzinnnnng! But I can def take a few pics of it or record it actually. When I was installing mine all the guides I looked at really didn't help until I kinda got in myself. If you order the super cooler I have you'll need a different hose and the connectors that come with it don't work for our cars so you can either order those online and I can get u the numbers, if u don't wanna cut the lines from the radiator, which depending on how you do, you can always go back stock if you decide on selling the car and keeping the cooler

Old 10-20-2015, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member

I was doing a bit of researching and I've seen on other vehicles they have an oil level sensor on the passenger side of the oil pan? Idk there's tons of things I wanna tackle down but it's getting colder and colder here and I have no garage lol pictures and videos are always good!

Didn't know we had the option to choose a color! I got a link to a cooler from ls4store.com that directs me to amazon. Where did you buy yours?

Old 10-20-2015, 12:25 PM

I bought mine off amazon, I thought the tep ones were a bit quite expensive for what they offer, really all the offer more is specific placement and the steel hoses, but you can still run the rubber ones with no problem. The one I use is the one turbo monte uses for his, and his monte is I think 500 whp+ so I'm sure if it'll keep his cool it'll keep my stock monte cool lol

Old 10-20-2015, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
I bought mine off amazon, I thought the tep ones were a bit quite expensive for what they offer, really all the offer more is specific placement and the steel hoses, but you can still run the rubber ones with no problem. The one I use is the one turbo monte uses for his, and his monte is I think 500 whp+ so I'm sure if it'll keep his cool it'll keep my stock monte cool lol
Then my friend I'd like a link lol

Old 10-20-2015, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member

Is this the oil level sensor??

Attached Thumbnails Oil Level Sensor-2015-10-20-21.17.50.jpg  
Old 10-21-2015, 11:22 AM

I'm not too sure, and when I have my wheels off this weekend I'll take a vid for you and show u how I mounted mine. I'm gonna go back and reinforce it too
So il def show u that. Part numbers...give me a bit later and I'll get those too. I'm going to get my windshield redone soon, I hate the sun in my eyes ugh