General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

trade in my 86 monte carlo for a 68 fire bird ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:19 PM
1 Year Member
Default trade in my 86 monte carlo for a 68 fire bird ?

have not posted in awhile. hope everyone is good.

so after i spent good money and turned my 86monte carlo into a beautiful original car with a new chevy 350 small block motor true dual exhaust custom wheels and new and bigger tires and a nice origianl burgundy paint job. oh and the interior is clean very clean. i keep looking at this 68 fire bird convertible that keeps drawing me to pull the trigger and trade my car in a get that. granted it has the original y block motor putting out 264 hp but the car is immaculate under the hood and the rest of it. what to do what to do? any thoughts

Old 09-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Hi KingBass,
Do what is best for you It would be good to see pictures of both cars. Which one is in the better over-all condition ?

What does your Monte need ? What does the Firebird need ?
You must search your mind & soul & decide. I really don't think anyone can tell you... Everyone has opinions and preferences in their choices of vehicles.

I do what makes me happy...Sometimes I make mistakes & hopefully learn from it... Used vehicles area always a gamble, but you do know your Monte & what you've put in2 it...Good Luck on your decision

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 09-30-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:49 PM
1 Year Member

hey mike.

tht is a great answer to my question. lol

my monte doesn't need a thing. the car looks immaculate and the engine is a new 350 putting out 330 hp the transmission is great and i even built it up so if i want to bore out this motor or just buy a 383. now i have the ***** to handle it.
the fire bird needs nothing as well its a great crusing car. i saw it. honestly i put about 13k into my car. i love it. but then there is the side of me that loves cars. i honestly get hard on off cars. lol

Old 10-03-2015, 02:29 AM

Get the Bird dude, unless you need or use your Monte as a daily driver, convertible,deluxe interior, oh yea! I know I would get the Firebird, I had a '68 Camaro rally sport 327 man do I miss that car!!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:30 AM

Well I hate to say it, but collectibility - Firebird
Fun - hmmmm sounds like your car would be more fun

As far as what each car needs.... well you know the monte. you had your hands in every part of it. The cammie...... well I asume you havent. so you dont know.

Would it be a straight trade?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:34 AM

Do it !!!

Old 10-21-2015, 09:24 AM
1 Year Member

Changed my mine the bird is beautiful but I know what I got with my monte. It's a excellent looking car that has a new 350 small block. Besides the bird is automatic if I got a car like that it would have to manual

Old 10-21-2015, 09:34 AM
1 Year Member

And then again my daughters love daddy's burgundy race car lol

Old 10-21-2015, 10:54 AM

If you arent sure, then wait for something better to come along.
Given a tranny swap isnt anything in a FB.
I just know that in the newer cars, with all the computers and crap, get it right the first time.

I think either way you will be happy, and I am sure if you get the FB you wil find something to tinker with

Old 10-22-2015, 03:49 PM
1 Year Member

your right. tough life decisions. i could imagine talking to my wife about this and her expression on her face lol. i love my car and the care i put into it to make a head turner. i know how good of a muscle car i have. going to hold off and then in the future just buy another car