General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Oil Change from Hell (Help/Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Thumbs down Oil Change from Hell (Help/Advice)

(Disclaimer: to add insult to injury, I did not even get to change my oil after all of this).

So after months of wanting to do it, I finally decided to change my oil for the first time, which on paper I thought was an easy task. So after getting all the tools needed, here are the list of the problems I came across.

1) The Jack: I used the Big Red 2-ton jack. This jack got the car off the ground, but not nearly high enough to get under comfortably. The jack stands(same company and type) couldn't even get into their third highest position. At this height I could reach the drain plug, but getting to the oil filter from under the car would be extremely difficult to reach, let alone twist off.

2) The drain plug: I read somewhere on this forum that a 13 mm could be used to take this off, but 13 mm was way too small, I tried using an adjustable wrench to get it off, but the thing was on so tight. I assume this was from the oil changing shop using air tools/new drainplug? In any case this plug wouldn't budge. So I figured I'd cut my losses and go home.

3) Jack Points: I used the recommend jack points per the car owner manual, and keep in mind, I have only jacked this car up maybe 3-4 times EVER, and now I have jack points that look like below (see attachment).

4) Window & Suspension: After lowering the car back down, taking the jack stands and jack away, I take a step back, and realize that the front of my car is slightly higher than it used to be. Before today, the car was slightly slanted towards the engine, now it definitely seems like its trunk heavy. This to me is the worst part, because I used the factory prescribed jack points. In addition to this, the slot for the window on the driver side door is warped outwards just a bit. Luckily the window till rolls up. I took the car for a 5-minute drive to make sure the thing still ran, which it does, but it still sat high even after driving it.
----------------------------------------

After all this, I STILL did not even get to change my freaking oil. But that's not my main concern, that is reserved for point #4. So what do you guys think I did wrong? (Everything is not an option). And also, how badly did I mess up my car's suspension?

Attached Thumbnails Oil Change from Hell (Help/Advice)-dscn2578.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll give you a few pointers:

The drain plug is 15mm, not 13mm.

You lifted the car properly from the sounds of it. You might have some worn rear struts though.

You only need to lift the car high enough to fit a pan to drain the oil into. I only lift my Monte about 2-3 inches from the ground when I do my oil change.

What engine is in your Monte? 3400 or 3800?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like it was jacked up plenty...I would never use an adjustable wrench for an oil drain plug, thats a good way to strip it. Depends on the drain plug, mine is a 13mm, yours could be a 15,16 etc. Try a few different sizes till you get one that fits.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Generally, when you jack a car up it tends to stay up at the point you lifted. But only till it get's driven again. Or some cars, while it sets over night.

My '57s are like this. And I'm sure all of our Montes do this too.

I've jacked both the '03 and '06 Montes up at the engine cradle. So far I do not see any damage doing this to the car. (and I sure hope not to)

If the cradle is strong enough to hold the engine/trans in place. It should be strong enough to hold the car for a short time.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Ditto,

I usually jack front up using the cradle (with a rubber hockey puck between the metal at the jack, gives grip, doesn't compress and won't scar the aluminum). Then I throw jack stands under the jack point (behind wheel well) but leave jack in place to distribute weight more.

Note: the hockey puck works well on the side jack points as well, because the metal edge cuts into the puck a bit an doesn't bend like the pic you have shown.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I usually just put a set of boards in front of my ramps and drive the car up on ramps to chagne the oil, that will solve about 3 of your 4 problems.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

I have the 3400 engine.

Also driving the car seems to put the car back in balance as far as the front being higher than before.

I definitely had to be jacking it the car up from the wrong point (at some point that day). The crevice where my driver side window pops up its definitely widened by a 1/2 inch more than the passenger side. There doesn't seem to be any problems with water leaking into the door so I am clear there.

I'll try to take a picture of the under carriage of the car this week and hopefully someone can point out where's the "safest" place to jack the car from.

Thanks for all the advice

Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 AM

I hope the below helps you or a member.
Good Luck

pictures of jacking points on a 2000 chevrolet monte carlo

Old 07-14-2010, 09:46 PM

In that pic that Space posted, I always use #1 or #6 (unless I'm using the factory spare jack to put the spare on, then I obviously go under the side since I have no other choice)

Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 PM

I dont think using ramps is a good idea, the car needs to be level so all the old oil drains out. What I do is jack it up at the front DS point just enough for me to fit under and put my pan down, take off the plug, and let it off the jack so its level on the ground. Wait about 20min, the jack it up and place your stand again, take off the filter, let the extra drain out of where the filter goes, if it has any to drain (usually not), then replace the filter and plug, lower to ground (after removing the stand of course) then fill bakc up. it takes me no more than 25 min, thats with letting it drain for 20 min. 15mm socket BTW. And the reason your jack points got messed up is cause if you dont use the engine cradle, and you use the intended jack points, you need to use the stock jack or one with the slot at the top of it so it fits properly into the spine of the jack point.

Quick Reply: Oil Change from Hell (Help/Advice)