General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Is This Normal??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Is This Normal??

After I finished installing my brakes I started to notice a weird noise coming from the front end of my car. The more I played with it I began to realize it was coming from my front driver side tire.

It sounds like a broken strut but took it to a dealer and they said struts look fine! They said sway bar and tie rods and all that look firm.

This noise happens when I go on bumps, but does not make a sound if I'm pressing on my brakes. Today I removed my tire and started touching stuff...then got back to looking at the car lol jk anyway, I came across what seems to be this loose part. Wondering if it's normal that it makes this noise or if it needs replacing? Also what is the part called?

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:29 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

CV Joint. Not sure if that is normal or not. Bing search shows some pretty detailed diagrams. Maybe that will help you some
constant-velocity joint - Bing images

Old 09-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member

I had almost the same symptom exactly on my 06SS , visually the axle looked fine as does yours but there was that tad of slop on the transmission end as you have. I also had a touch of slop at the hub however. I just changed both the axle and hub at the same time while I was right there at everything and that annoying sound been gone since.
You can get new axle shafts very reasonable at any chain parts store. For the hub, I went with ac delco I got off amazon for like $70 new.
If you do change the axle, grab a quart of dexron VI because you will loose a little when you pop the axle of the trans.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the info! Just purchased the CV Axle for $70, going to install and pray it gets fixed!