General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

No More Monte Carlo - EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Default RE: No More Monte Carlo - EVER!

They didn't sell more GTO's specifically because it was a Holden. People did not like the fact that they took a "foreign" car and slapped a GTO badge on it. Not to get into semantics or anything, I just hope they don't do that with the Monte Carlo if they ever bring it back.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:35 PM

I bet you that this GM exec was talking outa his ***. GM doesn't know what it is going to offer in a few years. All he knows from his endless meetings is that the Monte wasn't selling and got Axed. He doesn't know what the future holds cuz the Auto biz is always changing and adapting to customer demand and sometimes to the new laws being passed. So it is pretty stupid for him to say "Never Again"
my 2 cents.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:47 PM

I agree with big_mecho, I don't think anyone at GM would be in a position to say NEVER. Least of all the wanna be execs they send around to meet and greetnew dealership owners. These guys are just welcome wagon drivers.

My concern now is, the Monte was always the car that NASCAR used, when the SC in the name meant "Stock Car". Now that we have the COT crap,nobodyneeds to worry about that venue of advertising, and the OEM's don't need to build a specific model for that purpose. Unfortunately, I think the NASCAR deal was a real driving force as to why the Montecontinued as long as it did.

On the other hand, all thing old become new again at some time, andwe will probably see another Monte somewhere down the line. I'll bet that GM won't give up the rights to the name.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Its still the same-old, same-old. GM NEEDS a Model they can build and sell all of them to get back on its feet. One guy isn't going to make the decision about what will or won't be built for sale. Right now, they're playing "Copy-Cat". Banking on the new Malibu to generate some sales. Don't forget, they still will be doing Market Research and watching what they have in Parts Inventories that people are "Keeping" rather than heading to a showroom that doesn't have anything like what they are willing to spend money on to keep from buying something new. Eventually, the Market will dictate that a specific Model is needed to attract new sales customers. If that happens, they have the ability to bring back a Model or introduce something that will "Fill the Bill" almost overnight.

Maybe when the see what I decided to do rather than go to one of their Dealerships or a competitor's Showroom .. they'll realize that the Stylish Muscle Coupe is a staple of what some people prefer over everything else available in the marketplace and wise-up and make a run of rear-drive "Monte-like" Coupes for the crowd that likes a little Zip along with the cup-holders and GPS Screens!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:37 PM

Makes no differnce to me because the less Montesthey make, the better mine looks. It will make my SLP Monte even more rare. hahahah

However, what will effect us, is parts will be harder and harder to come by, IE. Intimidator III spoiler, roof rails, SLP grills and stuff like that.

GM doesn't WTF is going on in todays market... The Vette is great but not everyone is going to get a sports car...

Just my .2cents

Old 12-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: BLACK ATTACK

We had the Big Guns from GM in Today for a meet and greet (New Owners) type of thing and one of the sales guys (trying to get me going), asks, "Hey, Our Finance Manager thinks GM is coming out with a new Monte in a few years, is that true?" GM Exec, "There will be no more Monte Carlos in GM's future." Salesman, "What about a Chevelle?" GM Exec, "NO... Yes there will be a Camaro, andmaybe, just maybe a 4-Dr version of the Camaro that might get the badging of a SS Impala, but No Monte Carlo and No Chevelle. The Uht may also make an appearance, but that is it."
Was it the same Big Guns who said back in the 60's that we all be driving "flying cars" by 1985?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i thought that was Time in the 1920's that said by 2000, the car and the plane would be combined or something....

Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Look at GM's financial reports over the past few years. It should come as no surprise that the execs seemingly haven't a clue.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:53 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

LOL!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 PM

I plan on designing cars for GM after I graduate from GT with a degree in mechanical enginerring.
Maybe when I get there I can talk some sense into the "Big Guns" and get a rwd monte with a LS4 base model and a SS with a LS7.

Quick Reply: No More Monte Carlo - EVER!