General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

New Guy on the block 2005 LS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Default New Guy on the block 2005 LS

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to say hi as I am new to the MC forum. I have an Acura Legend, and I have gotten SO much valuable information from that website. I also have a 2005 Monte Carlo LS. I love the car and want some info if possible.
The reason I'm here is because I took my car in for a routine oil change and was told I needed an Intake manifold gasket replaced because these cars have a history of problems in this department, and I should address it by winter. I have no symptoms, talked to a mechanic who said" why replace it if there aren't any problems?" That led me to this website.
I would like to maintain my Monte to the best of my ability(and wallet), so could you all fill me in on what needs to be addressed on this car, what problems are common, what to look for, mods. etc.
I appreciate your input. It is a stock 2005 LS. I bought the car 2 years ago with 53,000 miles. It now has 85,000 miles. I have done all oil changes on time, replaced the tranny cooler lines(leaking) and had the tranny fluid replaced. Coolant level is normal,no changes, and the car doesn't overheat(never has). It does seem to have power issues(lack of-3.1L) I paid 10,000 for the car, and the condition is excellent. I love the car, and want to take care of it and possibly perform mods to improve it. Thanks! John

Old 06-20-2009, 01:04 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum!!

I am with the auto repair guy. If there is no problem, do not worry about it. If someone can show you a recall list, take your car to a dealership and get all recalls fix for free.

I have a 05 SS Supercharged Monte and found out there is a recall on the cat converter. The year range was 02-05 (I think).

Old 06-20-2009, 04:32 AM

Hi `John & Welcome to our Monte Carlo Family.
Explore the forum & use our search engine for subjects
of interest. We would also love to see pic's of your
Monte & your Acura : )
Click on the below link for infor/repairs on your
intake. If you have more ?'s, just post them.
Wish you safe/fun miles in both your rides.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+intake+gasket

Old 06-21-2009, 12:33 AM

welcome to the mcf! be posting pics soon?????????????

Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, I will post pics soon. It's just a stock Monte, but I do love the car. Maybe looking to do some mods in the future. Anyone ever have intermittent hard shifting(all gears). It seems electrically related, because if I shut the car off for a brief time, it will drive fine after that. Weird! I heard talk of solenoids. Anyone?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Welcome to the forum. I agree, there's no reason to fix something that isn't broken just yet. Just be vigilant in checking your coolant tank, radiator cap for dark residue. This is a sign you intake manifold gasket is failing. Get it fixed quickly or you might blow a head gasket and that's terribly expensive.

Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:45 PM

Both my husband and I had to have our transmissions rebuilt because of the electronics inside went. Sounds like you might need yours looked at.

Do not get me wrong, we like driving our monte's but Chevy could of put a better transmission in....

Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

welcome to the forum! good luck with the car, i'm sure all your questions will be answered (and answered well!) here!!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi John!

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Forum!

Is it possible you have the 3.4 litre engine in your Monte? If so, I'm all too familiar with the problem your having.

The 1999 to 2005 3.4 litre engines are well known for the Lower Intake Manifold gasket leaking. Those engines were used in a lot of GM cars including the Monte Carlo. But most commonly used in the Oldsmobile Alero and Pontiac Grand Am.

I noticed the leak on my Grand Am when I went to change the oil. Found antifreeze in the oil, and oil in the antifreeze. If you notice this in your Monte, you may want to look into replacing the gasket.

The reason this happens is partially because the original gaskets were not all that good to begin with. But most importantly, the main reason was because the bolts tended to work themselves loose. You may want to make sure you torque down the bolts well. If you like, you could use a drop of Loc-Tite on the threads of each bolt holding the L.I.M. This would help keep this from happening again.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Welcome.

Quick Reply: New Guy on the block 2005 LS