General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

New Data Plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Default New Data Plate

Can anyone tell me if and where you can get a new data plate for my 1971 Monte Carlo. I recently purchased this car and the data plate on the cowl was missing. I found one in the glove box but I don't think that it is correct for the car and it is partially destroyed. Also is there a website to identify the numbers on that plate?

Old 10-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Default RE: New Data Plate

if your talking the VIN# tag then if it is off the car i would not have bought the car it could ber a stolen car.
If your talking the one under the hood or in the door that has the options for the car on it yes there are places on the net that can decode them for you just have to do a serch for it on googel i dont remeber the sites off hand but i know there are several to look at for this info.
there is also a book out to crack the GM codes on those and your vin numbers.

As far as getting it remade i have heard there are some for the older tri 5 chvy's 55-57 but not real sure about the monte carlos that was being done threw classicchevy i believe. It has been a few years since i onewd my 56 chevy and i was looking for that stuff to be done.

But you can pretty much get anythign done with enough time to serch for it on googel.

Sorry i cant help you more on this but like i siad it has been a while./

also one other thing to look at is in a motors manual some of the old chilton books told you haw to crack that code to. If you can find one of them it will tell you the options the car had the year of man. and also the motor weather or not it had AC etc... to include axel ratios all kinds of info.

Also call GM up and listen carefuly to thier recording you can get a restoration package on cars that are older then 20 years i think it is and it will give you the specks of that car and tons of information for you to help restore it back to what it was in the glory days if you want it it is free just takes them forever to get it to you. and you will need your vin number when you call for it they only give one out per car so if it has ever been gotten your SOL for it.

Good luck