General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

new '78 monte carlo

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Default RE: new '78 monte carlo

i wish i could get around to working on it but unfortuanatly this car is to replace my old ford ranger i flipped and broke my leg.

i like this car alot better but i would still prefer not braking my leg. its a hairline break going down it and any pressure on my leg it breaks more, they may have to put screws in it.

so i cant really get on my hands and knees and do the work the monte needs right now :/

Old 06-09-2007, 08:34 AM

[align=center]Hi Aaron,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]First, you got a Super/Super Deal on your Monte Carlo : )[/align][align=center]...I think you stole it [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Second, You are one lucky dude to still be here!!!!!![/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Were you wearing a Seat Belt ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Third, get your friends, family to work on your Monte &[/align][align=center]be the Supervisor : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hope your injuries heal fast. Youwere not wearing work shoes[/align][align=center]when the accident happened ? LOL[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Aaron, How did the accident happen ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How many times did you flip ?Were you practicing for NASCAR ? [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Wish you a fast recovery & Safe miles on your highways of life,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 06-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Well normally I wear my seatbelt but I didnt see the need because I was just running up the road to buy a toolbox for the back of the truck from a friend.

They told me if I had been wearing my seatbelt I'd have died but because I wasent i got slung into the passenger seat because it flipped sideways once and frontways once. I broke out the back window and crawled out and walked about and I've been walking on my leg about 2 weeks before I found out it was broken, X-Rays hadnt shown anything the night it happened but they said I may have torn some ligments. Then I went to an orthopedist and they did my MRI and X-Ray and thats when they found the fracture.

I guess how it happened is I took my eye off the road for a second and was about to go off so I swerved and overcorrected myself and almost went off the other side of the road and I swerved again and went into a ditch and a fence.

I had gotten some scratches on my back and head and my knee but I walked away from it and called everything. My girlfriend was shocked because she knows I always wear my seatbelt and am constantly making her do it and the one time I wasnt wearing it saved my life.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 AM

Hi Aaron & thanks for your post on how your accident happened.
You were unlucky it happened, but lucky that you only broke your leg.
In the future, will you wear or not wear your seat belt ?
My grandpa would say that you have the Luck of the Irish : )
`Space

Old 06-09-2007, 10:29 AM

I'll still wear my seatbelt, only luck could make something like that happen.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:50 PM

well the good news is that you got a chevy now

but honestly belive me i understand about not walking . been there dii that and still didnt think it was true till i hit the floor a few more times trying LOL

I hated that damed wheel chair. and refuse to give up and get back in to one.

But make sure that you do your leg right if you take care of it it will do the same for you.
As far as the screws make sure they absolutly have to do it before you go threw it. as i have a pin in miy knee and when it is cold it SUCKS!!! it makes me feel it three times or more then everyone around me.
but the car will be there when your healed up. OR you can do some of it while your laid up just get a frend to help you pull the parts off etc..

ALSO one more thing to really pay attention to.
The dash in that car is nxt to impossibel to replace so dont cut it up unless ya have to. also the dash plate that gose around the stereo. But the good news is that several years use the same plate. but not the same dash. and the Elcamino has a ton of the same parts for you and they are finally starting to repop the parts for it.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:31 AM

yeahhh the dash already has 2 small cracks and i havent been able to find one yet

Old 06-10-2007, 12:35 PM

when they stole the stereo out of one of mine about 6 years ago. i looked at everyone i could find in the junckyards in our area. even on the hot lines. i never found one.

Wha tthe INS. co. did is they sent it off to have it repaird. but it was not cheap like 1500.00
threw a place called Just dashes.
Im sure they have a web site.
what they do is tear the dash all the way down to the frame and then rebuild it from the ground up and recoat it etc... so when you get it back it is new.

But here is another solution for you if your not going to go fully restored stock or dont mind doing it other then stock. OR better yet find one in a bone yard that is not in great shape but it is savabel.

Then take a sander and sand all the plastic coating off of it. and fiber glass it all and then sand smooth.
If you do this you can get it the same shape and even put in the texture if your good.
But you can also do it like the newer cars or like my dash. smooth it all out and then paint it and make it smooth in stead of textured.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:18 PM

im not much into restoration, im only 16 :p

i may buy a dash cover though, really what im going for is performance, i want to drop a 350 in it

off topic but now theres 2 broken bones in the family, my mom broke her ankle and had to have screws put in earlier today when she was unloading her horse and fell off the ramp

Old 06-11-2007, 07:49 PM

hey i was 14 when i was restoring my 56 chevy. so dont let age stop ya.

tell mom sorry to hear about the hoof. not a good bone to break.

but your laid up now start finding a manual to read on the M/C and then you will know more about the car .