General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

new '78 monte carlo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Default new '78 monte carlo

bought a new 1978 monte carlo the other day for 3k

good buy

Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Default RE: new '78 monte carlo

Thats a nice Monte!! Looks like the same model from the movie Training Day - awesome car!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:54 AM

same gen but the one in training day was a 79

Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

love the color on that car

Old 06-07-2007, 04:28 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

3K is an awesome deal! Cool Monte!

Old 06-07-2007, 06:25 PM

i hate ya!!! I have been trying for the last fewq years to find another one and now you come in and get one for 3k in that shape? MAn i hate this crap LMAO

Great deal on the car. looks nice from what i can see.
Let me know if ya need some help i have owned 6 of the 78-79

Old 06-07-2007, 09:14 PM

well the AC has a bad freon leak so im gonna need a new compressor, and the gas guage doesnt work because the sending unit is messed up so im gonna get a new one and put it in in a week or 2.

also the brake light is stuck on the on position because when a guy was working on it he used the emergency brake and the switch got left in the on position even though the brake isent on, but the part is like $300 so im probably just going to leave that how it is since it isent hurting anything.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:37 PM

ok first things first.
1. sending unit messed up..... ARE YOU SURE IT IS THE SENDING UNIT?
If the guage reads Full all the time then ground the positive side of the guage and see if it changes it. if it dose the the sending unit is the culpreat.

Also make sure to clean teh ground wire that connects to the frame in the rear of the car normall right around the rear bumper area or a cross member under the trunk.
Clean it verry well and also change the end on the wire. then try again If it works then seal it by painting it so that you wont have to do it agian.

The brake light that stays on. .
Inside the car buy where the peddel is is where you should find the switch. it will look like a door push pin but about the size of a big fat pencial for littel kids.
unplug it and take the switch out. Then you can take some brake clean or eletrical cleaner and spray the ever loving crap out of it to clean the contacts out in there and make sure you work the switch it should be spring loaded. so make sure it moves freely and is dry in side and out real good. put some eletrical grease in to it and reconnect nd see if it will fix the issue.

As far as your A/c Not working then you can go to the auto parts store and get some U.V. dye and see if you can find out where it is leaking from. I have had them tell me the compressor is bad only to find out that one of the hoses had a lose connection and in need of replacement.

Also you can look in to the retro fit fo rthe 134a freaon in stead of the R-12. this is much better for the enviroment, you can find it easily and it is not to expensive. unlike the R-12 out there right now. they dont make it anymore so it is all recoverd R-12. and is like Gold from the right pepole .
Better to retro fit it.

but for the most part all the above is easy stuff to do and can bedone in a after noon,
The brake light switch is a easy fix most of the time i have had them stick before also.

the other thing that is nice with those cars most of the things like those switches they used in like 200 diffrent models of cars. so takes yours out and use it to compare if ya need to.

If you need to replace the foot peddel also. it can be tore down and cleaned up in a good chemical clean or even a media blasting for next to nothing and will work like new.

Look at the catolog and website of
http://eastwood.com

they have tools for helping you restor things and also diffrent tools for your shop that will help you a lot in your adventure to restor the car.
you have a excelent car for a starting point if this is all that is wrong with it and everthing else is workign .

also you can call G.M and get the restoration package. i belive 78 was still in this. they will give you all the speck on the car etc...
But you can due a serch and find it on googel for the vin tag decoders and then ya just punh in your tag nummber and it will give you all kinds of info on the car. like Motor,color year and plant built etc....

Old 06-08-2007, 11:26 PM

Mickey...... I'm speechless..... Ok, who gave him the Encyclopedia of Monte knowledge?

And WHERE do I get one? LOL!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:58 AM

For a/c
dont change over to R134
Get freeze12 its a replacement for R-12. It works great and you dont have to change anything over.
You use less 10 percent less of the freeze12 then you use the R-12.

Quick Reply: new '78 monte carlo