General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Need opinion on new tires.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:31 PM
1 Year Member
Default Need opinion on new tires.

Hello everyone.

I'm looking into getting something a lil bit more grippy than what I have on now for tires. I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A 235-55R17. The ones I keep going back to are Bridgestone potenza RE760 sport 245-40-17s does anyone have any tires they know of that work nicely?

Old 08-26-2016, 03:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I run Dunlop SP signature on my summer 18s, they seem to work well. I used to run a dedicated 16 inch rim with snow tires though for the winter, but now the Monte sits in storage all winter.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nitto 555 or 01 is both decent choices for grip. The Michelin pilot super sports are good as well.

None of the tires listed above (or any really soft tire) will last near as long though so don't expect great mileage out if them

Old 08-27-2016, 11:01 PM

I've got the bridgestone 760 sport tires on my GP GXP now (255/225). They're ok, but I think they're a little downgrade in grip from the re050a that came on the car from the factory. It'll hook WOT at 10+ mph, but the engine is a virtually stock ls4 so that's not really an amazing feat. Handling and braking seem similar to the stock tires, but I don't really push it hard enough to notice anything. The tread wear number is higher, so that's the tradeoff - a little less grip and a little better wear.

As turbo mentioned, the pilot super sport tires are an extremely good compromise for a street tire. I ran them on the vette for a short while. They were light years better than the stock Goodyears, but they still struggled with 500 ish whp at the time. Still, you'd get somewhat reasonable life out of them for how grippy they are. If you go too much more sticky than that tier of tire, your tread life quickly goes in the tank pretty quick. I switched over to NT05R tires that hook amazing, but I don't think they're going to quite make it a year, and I don't really drive it a ton.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 08-27-2016 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:16 AM
1 Year Member

Hmmmm decisions decisions. I put it away for the winter and I live around buffalo NY so it's only out for around 6 months. I have looked at the nitto nt01. It does seem to have some good reviews.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by minicupracer1
Hmmmm decisions decisions. I put it away for the winter and I live around buffalo NY so it's only out for around 6 months. I have looked at the nitto nt01. It does seem to have some good reviews.
The nt01 is a good balance of grippy straight line and handling traction, but IMO it's not even on the same planet as the 760 you were originally looking at.

A 760 is a higher performance street tire that will get a lot of mileage (but is certainly not a max performance street tire). An nt01 is a track tire that is going to wear out extremely quickly. I'm not sure how often you race, but that's a lot of tire if your car is mostly used on the street.

Also, another thing I'd be concerned about with them is wet traction. They only start out with like 6/32 tread which is only 1/8" from being considered too worn out to be useful at preventing hydroplaning. I've got about 4/32 on my nt05r right now and they're difficult to drive on when you get caught in a downpour.

If this is going on a car that spends most of its time at the track, and will almost never see rain - then an nt01 is a good choice. If it's mostly a street car, id go with something more street able (like a pilot super sport).

Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM
1 Year Member

Yeah I did see that there more of a track tire and not much tread. I only go to a few track days but never actually race it. I have a actual race car for that. Lol so chock one more look at the potenza RE 760s. I think I'm going to go with those.