General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Need Member's Opinion Immediately

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Default Need Member's Opinion Immediately

I currently own a 2000 torch red Monte Carlo LS. The previous owner way my cousin. I bought it from her for roughly $3500. I have had so many problems with it. These were not necessarily her or my fault, just wear and tear. Recently I have had problems with it not starting, and the Passlock system. Currently it has 182k miles on it, and is sitting in a CHEVY dealer's service shop. They just called me and said they can fix the problem for 500 and something dollars, but they also found that my Lower Intake Manifold Gasket, or something of that nature, is leaking oil and coolant at an alarming rate. Total cost of repair would be $2200. Should I say the hell with it, and buy a different car... which would be a monte, or should I fork over the dough and resurrect my baby.... PLEASE GIVE ME INPUT. I am desparate, and I love the monte carlo. I am currently a college student, freshman, so money is short for me.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

You could get a whole nother 3400 for 2200 bucks. I wouldnt put that kind of money into a car with 182,000 miles.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 PM

you could always do the work yourself, we have a member who created some very nice "how to" video's on the 3400!

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=15959

Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Appologies to all those who have heard me say this a million times.

There is a known issue with all GM 3400 engines from 1999 to 2005. They have an issue with the Lower Intake Manifold leaking. I experienced it seven years ago in my 99 Grand Am GT. Back then, it was a $1200 repair. But prices have gone up obviously. Mostly with the cost of labor.

For $2700 ($2200 for the LIM, $500 for the other repair), I would put the money towards another car. After paying out the $2700+ you'll have a Monte that still has other things you need fixed. Besides, that would put you at over $6200 that you would have spent on it.

I'm sorry you're out the $3500 you paid for the car. But I think at 182,000 miles that particular Monte isn't worth another $2700. I would sell it and try to get some of your money back from it. Unless you can do some of the work yourself.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My advice might be a little different from what others are saying...but take it for what its worth....

If fixing the intake leak, and this passlock problem will honestly FIX the car, then I would have it done...but, $2,200 for the intake gasket is out of this world. Taz is right, it should be $1200, or less. I thought we paid $850 at the Pontiac dealer to have the lower intake gasket replaced on my moms 3.8L Bonneville (the 3.8L also has the intake problem). And i'm in California, where its more expensive...

Now if the car has other problems, that will cost major money to fix, you should dump it, and buy a new Monte that you can afford.

here's how I look at it though, just because you buy a newer one does not mean it will be trouble free. You could end up buying a new one, and buying someone elses problem, and not only be out the money from your current Monte, but have another trouble maker/ money pit on your hands.....This is why you really need to be honest with yourself...will this intake and passlock this totally fix your Monte, or will it still have problems?

We had this decision to make about 2 years ago for my Mom's Bonneville...should we sell it and buy a new car, or fix it? The tranny case cracked and was leaking fluid, and dismounted from the tranny/ motor mount. It did not need a whole new tranny, just new cases, but the cost to completly re-build the tranny was another $1,000...so to put a new tranny case, and totally rebuild the tranny like new we were looking at a $3,000 bill. The car blue booked for $4,500...worth it? Well we really wanted to keep the car for another 60-80 thousand miles and 5 years, we really were not ready to buy the new car that mom wanted....So we decided it was cheaper to fix the Bonneville then buy a new car...But the Bonneville was in perfect running/ cosmetic condition aside from the transmission, so we knew it would be really fixed, and running great if we just fixed it...

This is what you need to do...think about your Monte, and what is really needs...is it worth the cost to repair for the length of time you plan on keeping it? You say your a freshman in college. Are you hoping to drive your Monte 4-5 more years until you graduate? If so, I think its worth fixing it up, and investing the money into it to get it healthy so it will last you through college.

If you plan on going through with the repairs, tell the dealer you looked around, and the cost for an intake gasket should only be $800-1,200...ask them why its so high? Look for a mechanic you can trust, and see how much they would charge for the gasket. Have the dealer fix the passlock, and take it else where for the gasket to be fixed if the dealer does not want to be resonable with you....

I hope this can help you think about what really needs to be done to your car, and if it is worth it or not to fix it....Good Luck!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:27 PM

So since I am a college student and I do need a solid form of transportation, I decided to shell out the cash needed for the repairs. I know that I shouldn't have, but it did actually turn out for the best. It turned out, as they were ripping my car apart, that a previous certified Chevy dealer had serviced my car. I needed the alternator replaced a few months back, and they also patched up my fuel line, so while the current repairs were about to be underway, low and behold something else was added to the list of wrong on my car. 2 Brackets were completely missing from some part. Chalk up another $250 for parts, but it turns out that the previous dealer had placed their "quality assurance" sticker on a mount by the bracket, so they looked into it for me. It turns out, that a faulty mechanic actually broke one mount, and didn't re-install the other one correctly. So the problem with my LIM was actually a mechanic's mistake, I only have to pay for the labor to fix everything on my car, the rest is a crazy free-bee... well paid for by the previous Chevy dealer... He He.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member

so all in all, what was the total price for car + repairs, if that is asking to much then just ignore, but was just curios and hope that you don't have any other issues with your car? goodluck with everything!!! thanks

chris

Old 09-15-2009, 10:38 PM

Total estimate was around $2500. I will only be paying for about $800 or so... this includes the ignition fix. The LIM was the thing I was afraid of. REPAIRS INCLUDED: Lower Intake Manifold Gasket, Passlock security system reset, new ignition cylinder, new coolant hoses, new re-keyed keys, and labor...

Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 PM

oh and a oil change w/ filter And this will make my Monte live for a long while... She has survived a salvage title, three ditchings, and 4 minor accidents.. Mom says its the car that just wont die.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member

sounds great, keep her going for your sake, there are a couple members here who have brought their cars back the worst of conditios, i think the next thing you will need is a montecarloforum.com decal? then you won't have nothing to worry about?? i hope???

Quick Reply: Need Member's Opinion Immediately