General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My winter plans

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My winter plans

So I have decided that I'm going to be going the LSX with a 4speed route my monte.The 355 has been great but I want both power an milage out of the monte an the carb just can't cut it.I also want to drive on the highway at 65(ish)an not have the engine spinning at 3100rpm's or higher.The tranny was redone 2 years ago an has been shifting good an firm.I plan on selling the engine an tranny to help fund the swap.

I was going to go EFI with the 355 but then a rattle from the engine compartment changed my mind.found out i bent the push rods for cylinder #6 an broke a spring dampener for cylinder #4, easy fixes.changed the push rods an then got tierd of the cold start with the carb(the choke has givin me problems for a while)so good by old school hello new school.

Afew shots of the monte

Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sounds like a good plan keep us posted

Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Sounds very cool keep us posted and take lots of pics

Old 11-03-2011, 12:06 PM

The description of the LSX engines on GM's website makes it sound as if this series of engines was designed specifically for people who are going to install blowers or turbos on them. "Redesigned with new lower compression pistons" -

Boost on a budget! That's what you get with the new LSX376. GM Performance Parts takes the economical LSX Bowtie standard-deck block, adds blower-friendly 9.0:1 forged pistons and combines them with the LS3's high-flow heads to create an affordable foundation for supercharged and turbocharged combinations.

GM does have a the Ram Jet 350 thats already got the fuel injection setup on it.

Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM

I am really curious to see how this pans out, but can you explain the LSX concept? Were the engines previously in a model from GM or do they just sell them on the side? I'm lost hahaha

Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Sweet, keep up the progress. Winter projects always suck in the cold though, gotta love the space heater haha.

I'm assuming by LSX he is referring to swapping in an ls1 motor. I think every LS series motor has been all aluminum, and they are powerful with good mileage. That is why he wants to swap.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Lets see. I see you have power brakes, it's A/C car, windsheild washer housing is stock, 55 gal drum for a fan shroud ..small oil filter. My 77 was all stock. I had a 350 fully loaded back when it was new. Only thig I hate was changing the last spark plug on the pass side. I would change that one every other time. Then I found a way to do it. Drove that car from Detroit city to Cailf , to Phoenix and back. great riding car. But them damn doors must be 7 feet long. ha ha ha. Either my 76 or 77 had the rubber wheels ( rims) that leaked once in a while. But ya got to love MONTE's. I do. Good luck with the rebuild. Did your car have a vinyl roof ? Body from the pixs looks pretty good.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Sweet, keep up the progress. Winter projects always suck in the cold though, gotta love the space heater haha.

I'm assuming by LSX he is referring to swapping in an ls1 motor. I think every LS series motor has been all aluminum, and they are powerful with good mileage. That is why he wants to swap.
The LS1 crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure if it was a completely different engine or just a different way to say it

Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Zen

LSX mostly refers to any ls base engine including the 4.8,5.3,and 6.0 truck engines.I'll be doing a 5.3 or 6.0 there so much that can be done with these engines.A 5.3 with a nice cam an ls6 intake tuned with headers makes the same if not more power than the 350 i just pulled out with a lot better gas mileage an they stupid good power with a turbo.Going to in the long run do a turbo set up.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Zen

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
Lets see. I see you have power brakes, it's A/C car, windsheild washer housing is stock, 55 gal drum for a fan shroud ..small oil filter. My 77 was all stock. I had a 350 fully loaded back when it was new. Only thig I hate was changing the last spark plug on the pass side. I would change that one every other time. Then I found a way to do it. Drove that car from Detroit city to Cailf , to Phoenix and back. great riding car. But them damn doors must be 7 feet long. ha ha ha. Either my 76 or 77 had the rubber wheels ( rims) that leaked once in a while. But ya got to love MONTE's. I do. Good luck with the rebuild. Did your car have a vinyl roof ? Body from the pixs looks pretty good.
No vinyl top.The body is in pretty good shape a few issues.The front fenders are mintAn the frame is almost spotless.If look at the fist pic you'll see the green on the drivers door,Thats were some one hit it an the body shop that did the work mangled the door it looks better than it really is.Theres also one rust hole in the back deck under the the window that i have to take care of.An of course the pass floor boads got to be replaced.She my fisrt car an i love to ride around in her thats the reason for the lsx swap i want the driveablitiy of fuel injection an a overdrive tranny.I want to do the gm nationals an a few other car events that require long distance travel with the old set up (350/th350)the engine was running at 3000+ rpm at 65 an burnning thruogh gas too fast.Plus i think it just be pretty cool.No has done a 2nd gem monte yet that I know of.

Quick Reply: My winter plans