General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My Monte Carlo PROJECT

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:18 AM
Default My Monte Carlo PROJECT

Lets just start off by saying it is indeed a project. When i finally got my licence my dad offered to give me his nissan truck or lend me the money to buy a car. I went with borrow money. His friend ended up having his 1986 Monte carlo ls for sale so he asked me if i would be interest in it. I said sure id look at it. (Here it is when i got it)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...r/DSCN0408.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...r/DSCN0404.jpg

I sat in it and loved it. I loved the huge doors the nice driver side leg room, the look of the car, the sound of the car. I loved it all. I ended up paying 500$ for the car. Then the repairs started. Right off the bat i needed a power steering pump and line, an exaust pipe and muffler from the cat back was gone, and locks for the doors and the trunk. So right there was another 246$. Still not to bad for an awesome car. Then it just went from bad to worse. The next thing was a tune up which it was bad. Wont bother mentioning price its maintenance. Next was the brake job that made me very aggravated. The car idk how it stopped at all. If the choke was on it didnt stop very well. When i was done with it it had brand new custom brake lines had to replace the old ones so we bought the line and had to custom bend it to match. Had to get new pads new shoes new calipers new cylinders, new bolts for the calipers. Short of rotors and drums i replaced it new. Now it actually stops. So that was about 150$, still not bad for a awesome car. Then driving to work one day i noticed smoke from the engine compartment, the heater hose was leaking on the manifold so 15$ to fix that then the upper radiator hose went. A few weeks later i come outside to a puddle under my car. The lower radiator hose had gone. not so bad another 15 to fix that one. Then i come outside to a HUGE puddle on the ground. Rather confused since i fixed ever one on here. ended up it was the water pump and fan clutch So theres another i believe 35 for water pump clutch fan was like 20 plus 45 for the hoses. So this 500$ car now has cost almost a grand but you know what, still an awesome car. Then coming home one day a deer jumped out of a ditch in front of my car, tried to stop and hit it and this is what i ended up with.

60$ junk yard wonder for the complete header panel with 1 head light that i needed the other was shot (Literally it had a BB hole in it). The hood took a decent amount of damage. Which took me months to fix finally got on craigslist someone selling Monte Carlo parts from a 1987 CL I ended up getting Both fenders, hood, trunk, tail light, head lights, header panel, front bumper, rear bumper, both doors complete, both quarter panel windows, and a bunch of other random parts for 150$. Not bad at all now i can fix everything i need to.

Now i'm kinda at a cross roads where i don't know what to do. My car needs more parts but i start college in 6 weeks. I need to save for college but i need the car to drive. It needs a new fuel pump, gas tank, fuel lines, cat, and y pipe. Which cheapest replacements from rock auto total comes to a little over 400$. I really am at a lost of what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Doomedfire; 07-22-2010 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Pictures To Large
Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i like it looks alot like mine lol, check out dixiemontecarlodepot.com
yes shipping takes kinda long but they have a ton of parts

Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Awww that Monte and you went through alot together!

Old 07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Cool Monte.

I too own an '86 LS Monte Carlo.

60$ junk yard wonder for the complete header panel with 1 head light that i needed the other was shot (Literally it had a BB hole in it). The hood took a decent amount of damage. Which took me months to fix finally got on craigslist someone selling Monte Carlo parts from a 1987 CL I ended up getting Both fenders, hood, trunk, tail light, head lights, header panel, front bumper, rear bumper, both doors complete, both quarter panel windows, and a bunch of other random parts for 150$. Not bad at all now i can fix everything i need to.

Say one thing. (okay, maybe more then one)

1. The CL is not a Monte Carlo model. It is a package offered in the Monte line. From what I can tell it is a custom style seat Chevy offered.

2. The LS is actually 1 inch longer then any other model offered in the 1980s. This added one inch is right at the center of the front wheel well to the nose. The SC or SS front fenders will mount to the LS body. But the LS nose will not mate to them due to the difference.

I know many who have cloned SSs out of any LS, but they swapped out the entire SS nose to make their LS a clone.

Mike from Mike's Monte's can also be another parts source.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by rj
2. The LS is actually 1 inch longer then any other model offered in the 1980s. This added one inch is right at the center of the front wheel well to the nose. The SC or SS front fenders will mount to the LS body. But the LS nose will not mate to them due to the difference.

I know many who have cloned SSs out of any LS, but they swapped out the entire SS nose to make their LS a clone.
The CL parts are the LS parts from the 87 year, will they still fit the 86 LS? The only thing that tells me its CL is the fenders say it, the header is from a LS and the door even says Luxury Sport on the trim. Wouldnt want an SS Personally i think the LS is much nicer.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
rj
15 Year Member

CL = only a package offered. It is not a model.

SC, LS, SS were the only models offered.

The fact it has CL on the fender is to tell everyone this car has this package on it.

'86, 87, 88 LS were all pretty much the same car. Parts from one will fit the other two years. (to me, the '88 LS does have slightly different headlights)

My doors have "Luxury Sport" on them as well.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Last edited by Montelicious; 07-26-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM
rj
15 Year Member

I had another friend who had a 70 last year, nobody wanted it so he made it into an enduro car...sad
I'll say.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Last edited by Montelicious; 07-26-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

way to threadjack lisa

Quick Reply: My Monte Carlo PROJECT