General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

my car is nothing but a money pit

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Default my car is nothing but a money pit

ive had my z34 for about three months now and has done nothing except take my money. after about week it start acting up, it was sluggish in low rpms. so i changed the fuel filter and it got a little better. then it started get worse real quick. last friday my timing belt blew. i got it back today and they told me luckly no valves were bent but the catalytic converter is clogged. i told them i could take care it. the bolts on my cat are rusted like crazy and i probly have to cut the bolts and what not. i went to the auto parts store and told me they cant get it and i have to go to the dealer. does anybody know how much a new cat from the dealer would be? thanks

Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Default RE: my car is nothing but a money pit

well you have a few options here.
1. if you dont have a state inpection you have to go threw cut it off and weld in a new pipe to cover the hole (not recomended)
2. go to a muffler shop and get a new hig flow cat welded in to place
3. get a high flow cat from the auto parts store and do the work your self

you dont have to have the stock parts to make the car run right . but the law dose state you must have one in the states to be in the emissions laws regs.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:35 PM

i had some magnaflows in the garage waiting to be put on so i went to an exhaust shop and got a magnaflow high flow cat put on along w/ the mufflers. but its still running like crap. its throwing a misc. or random misfire code. so the guy told me its either spark plugs, timing is off, or my valves were destryoed when my timing belt went. hes doing a compresion test tomarrow and im praying its not the valves i alredy have 4400 dollars into this car

oh yeah and in florida we dont have inspection so the only thing id have to worry about is just getting the 02 simulator but i was told there not too reliable

Old 11-17-2006, 11:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had a catalytic converter catch fire on me once. Flames were shooting out the side of the car.

Not that I recommend it but times I couldn't afford to replace the catalytic converter on my car(s) I was able to persuade a muffler shop to make a straight pipe that I installed at home.

All cars/trucks have the potential of soaking up money. Even new ones.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:10 PM

i got some updates on my car. i got my car back from the shop and lucky it was only the spark plugs and the timing needed a little adjustment. but now the problem is i have a high flow cat and mufflers but stock exhaust piping. and my HF cat is throwing the 02 malfunction code. the car gets me from point A-B but not very fast. will the 02 simulator fix my problems or do i need to get 2.5 piping asap?

Old 11-24-2006, 06:14 PM

O2 simulator is the way to go.