General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Monte Peformance 3.8L Parts + Vid + More : )

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow Monte Peformance 3.8L Parts + Vid + More : )

Chevrolet Monte Carlo performance parts

By making the right performance parts, you can expect to generate anywhere from 300-1200 hp out of a Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Daily drivers have a common horse power goal of around 400. Only the most fierce, drag racing Chevrolet Monte Carlo will try to attain 600+ hp. In some extreme engineering cases, upwards of 1000 hp can be attained. That is a lot of power for such a light weight vehicle.
Super Monte Carlo! 4-Sure : )

The 3.8 liter v-6 engine used in the Chevrolet Monte Carlo is one of the best engines General Motors has ever made. It is used in almost all larger coupes and sedans. Police also prefer this engine because it reaches RPM quickly. Police use special chips that unlock the performance held within the 3800 series engines.

I used to own a 1999 Monte Carlo z34, it was my third vehicle. I modified it moderately, and it was capable of keeping up with the later model supercharged versions.

I put a cone K&N air filter on the throttle body, and used an ebay power chip to modify the mass air sensor. This changed my fuel ratio to very rich, making the extra air provided by the intake to burn adequately and safely with out leaning out. I also removed the stock exhaust system and replaced it with generic ebay aftermarket mufflers. Still a dual muffler setup like oem, it actually sounded pretty good. To increase spark I used platinum plugs, upgraded coil overs, and high performance spark plug wires.
I used this vehicle to pull jet ski's out of the reservoir ramps in northern Indiana. Those ramps are about 150' long and have an approach angle of about 20 degrees. The Monte Carlo was a beast and could do it with no problem. Acceleration towing jet ski's was great; I could race along with most vehicles.

Some owners like to use larger turbo chargers to modify their Chevrolet Monte Carlo. This forced induction modification is a great way to gain lots of power. Depending on the size of turbo you choose, several supporting modifications will be required. Luckily, the Chevrolet Monte Carlo is a race inspired vehicle. Out of the box, it's pretty fast to begin with.

Common Chevrolet Monte Carlomodifications:
  • Fuel system
  • ECU tuning
  • Exhaust
  • Intake
  • Wheels
  • Suspension
  • Weight reduction

Over all, Chevrolet makes a bullet proof motor. I have seen some crazy things done to a Chevrolet engine and it still runs. Ingenuity gets creative when it comes to squeezing out the last drop of power. If you want to use a turbo, make sure you upgrade for appropriate fueling. Running your car lean can do damage to the engine. It is rare a Chevrolet engine blows, but it does happen.

Appropriate fuel system upgrades consist of fuel injectors, fuel rails, fuel pressure regulators, fuel filters, and high pressure fuel pumps. Upgrading fuel lines and adding a fuel pressure gauge to the system will help you prevent engine fires. When upgrading your car, it is wise to take every step possible to prevent fire from occuring.

The Chevrolet Monte Carlo is an extremely light weight vehicle in it's stock form; a great candidate for weight reduction. By removing extra stock components you don't need a couple hundred pounds can be removed resulting in better handling, performance, acceleration, and sound. Removal of sound deadening materials allow better acoustics inside the cabin.Taking out the air conditioning system can remove rotating mass and reduce weight at the same time. Typically an aftermarket pulley system can be used to delete the air conditioning system out of the drive belt.

Top 5 Chevrolet Monte Carlo performance websites:
The performance Chevrolet Monte Carlo is the most common modified vehicle on the road today. There are many of aftermarket performance parts that you can buy for your car. All years of Chevrolet Monte Carlo have an extensive selection of parts which make them great cars to modify. A decent amount of sound and power can be gained by modifying your Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

www.examiner.com/x-4824-Tampa-Sports-Car-Examine

Member's, Post your thoughts on above article/Vid

Last edited by Space; 04-25-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:08 PM

I think the 5 listed sites are way wrong. I would say the ZZP, Intense, 3800pro, wbodystore, and pfyc would be higher on the ranking.

The HP listed seems a bit high too unless they are including 4th gen but dedicating the article to 5th gen.

The 3800 engine police talk seems a bit out of place as well since the cops don't use Monte's.... they use the Impala.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by 04 Intimidator
I think the 5 listed sites are way wrong. I would say the ZZP, Intense, 3800pro, wbodystore, and pfyc would be higher on the ranking.

The HP listed seems a bit high too unless they are including 4th gen but dedicating the article to 5th gen.

The 3800 engine police talk seems a bit out of place as well since the cops don't use Monte's.... they use the Impala.

I agree with the sites being wrong and the HP being a little high but the Impalas did have the 3400 and the 3800 engine in them. So i could see where they would use the 3800 over the 3400.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Thanks Member's

"Don't shoot the messenger"

Thanks member's for your posts/comments. That's what
I was hoping for when I posted the above thread topic.
I knew that it would solicit your opinions on the article,
and make your sugesstions of what other sites, or
performance mod's are good for the 3.8L
Thank You