General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Monte maniac troubles

Old 10-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Default Monte maniac troubles

This old 77 monte carlo is in park position on the floor shifter...when I went to load it on the transport to bring her home...NO WAY could I get her out of park..because of time restraints I pulled the drivers shafts to get her to free wheel...got her home...safe..still no getting her out of park...my original 75 monte was a column shift that I had to jiggle just right to get the key to turn to start or run position...this 77 with floor shift..no way can I get the key to turn to run or start position...the only thing I can think of is...is it possible that chevy changed something in the column to safety lock the key cylinder...my 75 I believe was lever actuated to lock the cylinder first theft prevention...did the change to electric switch to lock column or an I crazy...all attempts to turn key are without a battery in the car...any ideas out there...trying a battery next...please give me some advise...kbullwinkle out...

Old 10-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would check the linkage first, pretty sure that could be the problem

Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Default Ignition problem on 77 monte..

Yep...pulled the steering wheel today...cylinder fell apart in my hand...linkage was attached seemed ok...pulled start switch..replace in am...then need new cylinder and key...hopefully that will get it...did roll over engine for first time...with start switch..not froze up...that's good news...once I can get key to run position will check for spark next....it's a process....thank goodness seats are all out to upholsterer...laying down under dash beats doing the hymlic maneuvers on that column...let ya know...any more ideas..please feel free to offer help...thanks kbullwinkle out...

Old 10-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Default Ignition problem

Hey Jakefluker,
I also reassembled all 4 brakes so I could depress the brake as I turned the key...nothing....fyi DO YOU MEAN THE LINKAGE ON THE IGNITION FROM THE KEY TO THE START SWITCH..OR THE ONE FROM THE FLOOR SHIFTER TO THE COLUMN..JUST ASKING..THANKS KBULLWINKLE OUT...

Last edited by kbullwinkle; 10-05-2016 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Mistakes

Search this Thread