General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Automatic shifter troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 PM
Default Automatic shifter troubles

Hey all.
In the past few weeks I have ended up with an 05 MC. Everything looks pretty good on the car, 44k miles, overall clean car. Just recently noticed while replacing the shift interlock solenoid (floor shift auto) that the car dosent "lock" from drive to lower gears and neutral to reverse. My main concern is that I can go from reverse to 1st without touching the shifter button and more concerning from drive (or lower gear) to reverse without it "locking" at neutral. The car is completely driveable as far as everything goes, I just dont like the idea of my wife driving down the road and accidently knocking the car into reverse. Has anyone had this issue before? There doesn't seem to be anything jammed or bent on the shifter but I could be mistaken....anyone have a good view of the mechanism that prevents this from happening?

Thanks for any input!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Was the shift **** replaced? You might have one that is permanently pressing the button.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:59 AM

No factory ****, even took the **** off and checked to see if that was the issue. Moves just like if you were pulling it from reverse to drive but dosent lock up when it goes into drive and will keep moving to the lower gears.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had the same issue on an 07 LT monte I just bought for my soon to be 16 year old son.
Took everything apart and found the normal broken shift interlock wire but no obvious sign as to why it would just go from park to any gear no matter what. Even after repairing the broken wires with a new pigtail. I just bit the bullet and bought a new shifter assembly off amazon think it was $90. and everything works as it should. I will note the new shifters from GM are redesigned to eliminate that broken shift interlock situation.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:37 PM

Ouch. Hope there is another alternative, not looking forward to replacing the shifter assembly. Only place i found one online was ebay for about 60 bucks, not too bad but not too excited about replacing it with one that may end up having the same issues. Was it a hard install or require any special tools?

Old 09-29-2016, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

The 00-05 models may be different from 06-07, those use the same shifter as impalas. Like I said the one I got was a new gm replacement, also I'm wary of some things used myself. But far as replacing, its not bad at all. Pull the **** off, the trim plate around it snaps off, unbolt the center console, unplug the wires for power outlets and such, and it comes right out. the shifter itself, theres a cable up front that snaps on a rod and a plastic retainer that also snaps in. I think there are 4 nuts that hold it to studs and that's it.
I wouldn't imagine 05 models being much different than 06 or 07.
Tool wise nothing special, just normal 10,12,13mm stuff maybe an 8mm I cant recall

You may want to check the BTSI solenoid that is on the side, I would think maybe if it is stuck or a previous owner some how rigged it to engage all the time that could be the culprit.
I know on 06 up years when those failed due to the broken wires, you could pop the trim plate off and reach down with a screwdriver and press it manually to allow the transmission to shift from park into drive so you wouldn't have to have a tow. it could be jammed or rigged to stay engaged.

Last edited by Aerocoupe86; 09-29-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:44 PM

Just bit the bullet and ordered one. Ill compair the 2 when i receive it and see if i can tell what caused it. Hopefully it will fix it.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:15 PM

Installed the new shifter today and it preformed perfectly. Once i got the old shifter out it was apparent there was a combination of grime and a weak spring causing the problem. Spent a little more money on it than i needed to getting the entire shifter but until i seen them side by side i couldnt see what the issue was. Most important thing is its safely back on the road. Thanks for all the help from those of you who chimed in.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member

cool, figured it had to be something in the assembly.