General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

MONTE CARLO KILLED : ( + More : )

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:06 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: GM to give MONTE CARLO the BOOT : (

ORIGINAL: Mrrench

Me Im not a 4 door car lover......
Had my share of 4 door cars when the kids were growing up.....

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 4 DOOR SPORTS CAR........ YOU CAN CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT BUT A 4 DOOR CAR IS A FAMILY CAR...... ALWAYS HAVE BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE.......

THAT IS MY .02 CENTS.....
Amen!!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:27 AM

Chevy didn't advertise for Montes because they don't sell. There are quite a few 07's in my area that the dealers can't get rid of....and the reason is the trend towards 4 door cars for room. The Monte is rumored to return but is still in the air. If you remember this is why the Grand Prix's are no longer 2 doors too. There isn't a big following for a large, 2 door coupe. V8 or not. GM has consistently lost money on the Monte Carlo which is why it's going away.

Now my question is this? Why redesign it if you're going to kill it after just 2 years in the redesign? Why give the 06 a 3.9 V6 option only to take it away in 07? In 07 you can't get the 3.9 V6, dual exhausts, or fog lamps on an LS or LT. Seems like an awful lot of design time wasted to kill it off in 2 years.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: cain45

Chevy didn't advertise for Montes because they don't sell. There are quite a few 07's in my area that the dealers can't get rid of....and the reason is the trend towards 4 door cars for room. The Monte is rumored to return but is still in the air. If you remember this is why the Grand Prix's are no longer 2 doors too. There isn't a big following for a large, 2 door coupe. V8 or not. GM has consistently lost money on the Monte Carlo which is why it's going away.

Now my question is this? Why redesign it if you're going to kill it after just 2 years in the redesign? Why give the 06 a 3.9 V6 option only to take it away in 07? In 07 you can't get the 3.9 V6, dual exhausts, or fog lamps on an LS or LT. Seems like an awful lot of design time wasted to kill it off in 2 years.
the MC did not loose money for GM. It ran for 6 years, now 7, with basically no change with mospt of the parts being stared with the Impala and other W bodies. Also, this past refresh basically cost GM nothing. With what they changed, the only thing that didn;t share the Impala was the front and rear bumper, and the tail lights. basically cost GM nothing.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:16 AM

I guess its just luck... My second car that I owned growing up was a 1996 Beretta Z26. I owned it for 4 years then traded it for a 2001 Monte Carlo SS. I never had one problem, not one with that beretta other then a dead battery and an alternator which is expected. You cant get a supercharged cobalt in a 4 door. I have Stage II in mine Putting out 245 HP, combined with the 5 speed manual makes for a very fast car. 15.5 Pounds of boost really makes it move. For a single guy with no family, its a very fun car to drive. Alot more fun then the monte in terms of spirited driving. The monte is great for crusing and showing off some V8 muscle. My very first car was a 1992 Cavalier Z24, for the 4 years I owned that, no problems at all...

Jason

Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi `Jason, -06BlackSS-
I envy you [>:], you have the Best of both Worlds.
I like the looks of the Cobalt SS & I love the power the SC puts out.
You have two special and unique rides that
collectors will be look'in 4 in the future: )
Please post more pic's of your cars : )
Have you ever timed your Monte & Cobalt in the 1/4 mile ?
Please post them if you have them.....
Jason, I wish U safe/happy/fast miles in your SS's : )
`Space
Oh, do you know how many Cobalt SS were made
or 06 Monte SS ?

Old 03-02-2007, 02:31 PM

I only have the Canadian Facts and figures on how many were made. I have my sheets at home but I will try to remember. For the Cobalt SS Supercharged, for the 2006 model year, there were a total of around 1200 sold in Canada, 447 Being Triple Black like Mine.

For the 2006 Monte SS, There were something like 150 SS's sold in Canada, 11 or 12 of those being Triple Black and fully optioned like mine.

I can get the exact stats when I get home from work.

Jason

Old 03-02-2007, 02:48 PM

Sad to see the MC goin' away again. I'm glad I got my '06 SS. I've definitely noticed the trend of people wanting 4doors nowadays. Course, that probably helped me get a better deal on mine. I hope we'll see the car in the future again. A nice hiatus can make a big difference for the model in the future. I'm being careful with my MC now. Guess that just means I need to start drivin the truck even more now.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Anytime any car is changed, updated, refreshed etc. it COSTS $$$$.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: cain45

Anytime any car is changed, updated, refreshed etc. it COSTS $$$$.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Below is an article containing the changes to the Monte Carlo[/align]
I don't know what they cost & what was transferred to the Impala, but I think it was a cost $ to GM?
[align=center][:-]What's New for 2006 [:-]
The Monte Carlo receives significant revisions for 2006. On the outside, Chevrolet has altered the car's styling with new front-end styling and taillights. Inside, the Monte Carlo benefits from a redesigned instrument panel, improved audio systems, more comfortable seats.. Mechanical changes include a stronger body structure, retuned suspension geometry for enhanced stability and improved braking systems. There are also new engines for the Chevy car: a base 3.5-liter V6, an upgraded 3.9-liter V6, which replaces last year's supercharged V6. Finally, the lineup of trim levels has been shuffled slightly to accommodate a new luxury-oriented LTZ trim. The 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo receives new front and rear fascias, new headlights, and new taillights. New V6 engines with variable valve timing include a 211-horsepower 3.5-liter and a 242-horsepower 3.9-liter.[/align]
Body Styles, Trim Levels and Options:

The Chevrolet Monte Carlo is a two-door coupe that comes in four trim levels: LS, LT, LTZ and SS. The LS model comes with 16-inch wheels, air conditioning, power door locks and windows, a tilt steering wheel and remote keyless entry. Stepping up to the LT model gets you dual-zone manual air conditioning and a remote vehicle starter. The LTZ includes heated leather bucket seats, an upgraded audio system, 17-inch alloys and an auto-dimming rearview mirror.
Powertrains and Performance:

The standard engine is a 3.5-liter V6 engine that produces 211 horsepower and 214 pound-feet of torque. Optional on the LT and standard on the LTZ is a 3.9-liter V6 with 242 hp and 242 lb-ft of torque. All models employ a responsive four-speed automatic transmission that sends the power through the front wheels.[i][align=center]2006 MONTE CARLO: A NEW LOOK FOR AN ON-TRACK WINNER [/align]
The aggressively styled 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo heats up the sizzling mid-car segment with enhanced premium-quality features, racing-inspired styling, a new family of powerful engines, as well as thoughtful attention to detail. A new look for the front and rear fascias – including bold headlamps and taillamps – is complemented by revised suspension systems that deliver comfortable, quiet and more confident ride and handling characteristics. These new ingredients improve on an already popular recipe for driving satisfaction.
Monte Carlo draws on a rich NASCAR stock car racing legacy – the most successful nameplate in the sport’s history – to offer one of the industry’s only true midsize personal coupes. The vehicle has remained true to the roots of style and performance established at its introduction in 1970.
"For ’06, Monte Carlo delivers more of the performance and style demanded by customers, but with an increased emphasis on comfort, roominess and driving manners," said Brent Dewar, General Motors North America vice president of marketing and advertising . "We fine-tuned the details to deliver a value-driven vehicle that delivers unexpected refinement."
A new family of premium-feature V-6 engines is available in LS, LT and LTZ models, including a 211-horsepower (157 kw) 3500 3.5L V-6

Old 03-02-2007, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000_BLACK_SS

Did GM ever advertise for the monte because i have never seen anything about it on the tv or anywhere else but ihave seenthe impala and a whole bunch of other stuff on the tv but not the monte?

i think that it will be back in the next ten years but maybe thats just me (i at least hope so)

I have to agree, I haven't seen any ads. Maybe they will bring it back rear wheel drive and a stick.

Quick Reply: MONTE CARLO KILLED : ( + More : )