General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Moaning sound when turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:16 AM
3 Year Member
Question Moaning sound when turning wheel

OMG my baby is sick. I finally figured out that my '01 is only making an engine sound when I turn right-even slightly. Now I am afraid to drive it (didn't bother me until now ) I will take it to the garage on Monday but would like to know what you think it is. It actually sounds like a small jet engine last night. The sound stops as soon as the wheel is straight. Can anyone help????? My first MC was a '74, I was hooked from then. thanks

Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sounds like your power steering is low on fluid. Just go pick some power steering fluid up, top it off and then see if it gets low again. Then you'll know if your power steering pump is going bad or not. I would wait to take it to a shop.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 AM

yep power steering. probly low on fluid. but where has the fluid gone? id fill it up and look for the leak. it will be pressured out of the leak spot when you turn the wheel. so have someone in the car turning the wheel left to right(while running) and someone else looking for the drip. if there is only yourself you can do both it will just take alittle longer goning back and forth from turning to looking.
you can still drive it if there is a leak just fill ity back up when you start hearing the noise again. unless the fluid drops out fast. youll be good doing that until you find the leak and, or have to relpace the pump. you have to replace the pump if the pump is full of fluid but still making the noise.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:59 AM

Check to see how dirty the fluid is maybe?????

Old 08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by pinky
OMG my baby is sick. I finally figured out that my '01 is only making an engine sound when I turn right-even slightly. Now I am afraid to drive it (didn't bother me until now ) I will take it to the garage on Monday but would like to know what you think it is. It actually sounds like a small jet engine last night. The sound stops as soon as the wheel is straight. Can anyone help????? My first MC was a '74, I was hooked from then. thanks
Thank you so much! I will check the fluid, but I did have it filled not too long ago (maybe Jiffy Lube didn't do it). I hope it fixes itself.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:38 PM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by HPNOTIQracing
yep power steering. probly low on fluid. but where has the fluid gone? id fill it up and look for the leak. it will be pressured out of the leak spot when you turn the wheel. so have someone in the car turning the wheel left to right(while running) and someone else looking for the drip. if there is only yourself you can do both it will just take alittle longer goning back and forth from turning to looking.
you can still drive it if there is a leak just fill ity back up when you start hearing the noise again. unless the fluid drops out fast. youll be good doing that until you find the leak and, or have to relpace the pump. you have to replace the pump if the pump is full of fluid but still making the noise.
Thanks racing man--I will try that!!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mine does it too, I filled it up and its still just as bad. Sigh

Old 08-01-2010, 07:01 PM

if you fill it up and it still does it the pump is going bad. but it will still be drivable until you start getting streering issues.
(stiffer steering)

Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It helps to put on your defrost in the summer to cool off the engine. Keeps my steering from going out completely lol.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 PM
3 Year Member
Default thanks guys (and dolls maybe) for the advice

I checked the fluid--it is coal black . It is full also. Now what? I will be taking it to the garage on Monday--he's on vacation this week. ugh
I drove it today to the garage and it sounds like the engine making a moan if I even touch to sterring wheel to the right let alone actually make a turn. Nothing else seems amiss but that sound and a little roughness in the steering when I sit in one place and turn the wheel to the right. The motor sounds like a single engine Cessna going over head at 3 am. Ever hear something like that? thanks again

Quick Reply: Moaning sound when turning wheel