General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Mechanic help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Default Mechanic help

Hey guys! I have a situation with this mechanic. I just bought my monte a month ago, and the first thing I've noticed is that the fuel gauge is wacky. So i took it in to get it fixed, considering i have a 3 month "All expenses paid" dealer warranty besides the two year gaurdian warranty I did not hesitate. until I got it back, and the problem persisted. The first time i took it back the owne explained that he put in a new fuel pump. The second time he explained that the fuel pump he origionally installed must have been faulty and said he put in another one. I don't trust him, I did a bit of research on it and found out it could be one of a few things, Level sensor, fuel pump, gauge cluster. "Supposedly" two of those three things have been changed or replaced and when i brought the fact i had some sort of mechanical knowledge to his attention I/E Telling him about the three possibilities, He assured me it could not be the gauge cluster as he performed a "sweeper" ? test on it and it functioned correctly. I don't believe him really, In my search It would seem that the gauge cluster would be the most troublesome to fix considering they have to order another part directly from GM, and then take out the whole dash to replace it, all this plus the fact they are doing with without me having to pay a cent. Your thoughts on the matter? What should my next step be? I don't like the idea of parting with my baby for another 3-4 days just to get it back and nothings changed. What do you guys think it is?

For example, often when I'm driving the needle with fluctuate, Sometimes it will read 1/4 a tank, 5-10 minutes of driving the needle will be near the E and the yellow light will come on stating "low fuel" however the needle will fluctuate in between a bit more, sometimes going all the way to E or back up to 1/4 or higher. that was just one example. The damn thing is erractic.

BTW: on the overhead dash, Is that DIRECTLY linked with the fuel pump? so if I'm getting wrong reads on the gauge will the overhead be also wrong? and how many miles are left on the Overhead before you get the "low fuel" warning. Mine has ranged anywhere from 20-60 miles before.

Thanks in advance for anyone who feels like lending assistance.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My Low fuel message comes on at 42 miles.

Has he replaced the sending unit on the fuel pump? Sounds to e like that is your problem. Maybe he is lying and has not replaced the fuel pump or sending unit.

I would take it somewhere else....

Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
My Low fuel message comes on at 42 miles.

Has he replaced the sending unit on the fuel pump? Sounds to e like that is your problem. Maybe he is lying and has not replaced the fuel pump or sending unit.

I would take it somewhere else....

To my knowledge he has replaced the fuel pump(twice) and the sending unit/level sensor. unfortunately I cannot unless i want to shell out the $$$ to pay for the parts and work, I am however, considering taking it to a place, like autozone or pep boys and have them find what explicitly IS the problem, get documented proof and take it back to the mechanic's shop im working with to have it fixed. to me it seems like they are taking all the steps to keep themelves from doing too much work and considering they have close ties with the dealer( and the dealer is paying the bill) Im sure they are looking out for their behalf as well.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Go back to the dealer you bought it from, and raise some hell. Tell them the car has been back to the same mechanic multiple times, and he has yet to fix the problem. Tell them you want it fixed, and fixed right before the warranty is up. Insist they get it fixed. If you are under warranty, they have to fix it, period! Ask to talk to the General Manager of the dealer, and the service manager of the dealer. Explain your situation, and demand it be fixed. Is it a GM dealer?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:34 PM

the sweeper test is where u hook up a tool that has a variable resister in it. u then change the resistance and watch for the gauge to change as u change the resistance. well thats what i think he means. i would guess that he hasnt changed the sending unit... as for autozone finding out what the problem is, idk about where u r but ive never had then diagnose a car for me and quite frankly wouldnt trust it

Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
Go back to the dealer you bought it from, and raise some hell. Tell them the car has been back to the same mechanic multiple times, and he has yet to fix the problem. Tell them you want it fixed, and fixed right before the warranty is up. Insist they get it fixed. If you are under warranty, they have to fix it, period! Ask to talk to the General Manager of the dealer, and the service manager of the dealer. Explain your situation, and demand it be fixed. Is it a GM dealer?
I think this is the only solution really X_x considering I lack the expertise to tell them what the hell they are doing wrong or if they are at all, the only thing I can do is yell at them lol. No its a private Dealer, and the mechanics' who inspect/fix the cars the sell is half a mile down the road.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Protect yourself.
When I brought my car in to the Dealer for its Lower Intake Gasket problem, they avoided doing the job by telling me they fixed a leaking Hose Clamp.

They don't want a Tech doing Warranty work.
The Service Managers get bribed to disqualify Extended Warranty Claims.

Call Chevy Customer Service and open a Quality Assurance Dispute (or whatever they call it.)
Create a Document.
Spell-out the details on a Page with ALL your vehicles important data in writing.
Date, Mileage, VIN, Trouble you are having, what you HAVE done and what you EXPECT to have done. Xerox the page. Label 1 "Original" and 2 "Dealer Copy"
Spend $2.00 and have BOTH documents "Notarized".
Give the Service Manager the Dealer Copy and tell him to put it in your file!
Now, tell him about the Fuel Level Sender problem and how it is NOT Fixed and how NOT Fixed is unacceptable to you and ask him to please order what they need to fix it right and stick to your guns.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

i agree with rick even tho i hate him

because everytime i see his damn bug on the screen i try to squash itlol

Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 PM

LOL! I got the same problem with that dang bug. Drives me loco. But Rick's right about CYAing yourself. Stand your ground!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

the fuel gauge is the problem. the motor for the fuel gauge need to be replace. this guy can fix it for you cheaper than the dealer. that's if you plan not to take your car back to them.

www.bbengineer.com

Quick Reply: Mechanic help