General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

LTZ to SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Default LTZ to SS

Its been a little over a week now from finally getting a 2006 Monte Carlo SS. I had a 2006 Impala LTZ and I honestly must say if I had to choose all over again, I dont know which one I would have picked.

Features in the LTZ that I miss
  • Bose Speakers
    Interior Space (Obviously)
    4 Doors (Obviously)
    Less Flashy (Cops)
    Interior Dash
    17inch 3LT Factory Alloys
Features that I like about the SS
  • 5.3L LS4 (Obviously)
    Displacement on Demand (Obviously)
    Bucket Seats
    Flowmaster Super 44's
Conclusion: Eventhough it may seem that I would pick the LTZ over the SS, I really cant say I wouldnt. I love the LS4 compared to the 3.9L and the flowmasters sound great with it. Of course the SS gets way more attention then the LTZ did but that doesnt necessarily mean thats a good thing. In the Impala ,cops never noticed me since it was such a clean straight foward car with virtually no mods. The SS definetly attracts more cop attention (YIKES! Currently on probation for a ticket in Dec). If I had to recommend a car, I would recommend a Impala 07+ 3LT with DOD. I know im comparing two totally different cars with different features for different reason (Ex Comparing a coupe and SUV) but I thought that I would share some insight on switching over from two similar but very different cars, as some of us 3LT owners contemplate on switching to a SS. Especially when your dropping comfortability for performance (Imp to MC). I added a few minor mods, SS emblem in the grille,($30) and swapped out the headrest for Impala SS headrest ($115 each) and plan on getting some new Firestone Firehawk GT all season high perfomance tires and a K&N CAI. Heres the MC along with carnage pics from my totaled LTZ.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The LTZ was made to have every "luxury" option and driver comfort in mind.

The SS is for people who want a performance car with a stiffer suspension and power.

So to go from the LTZ to the SS and expect the same creature comforts, you missed your mark. But congratulations on the SS! I own a 2000 SS, my g/f has an 08 Impala LT (same color that yours was), my sister has an 04 Impala SS Indy, and my parents have the 06 Monte SS and to me they are all great cars.

When looking for a new set of tires, keep a good look at the TreadLife rating, most tires for the Monte SS will be around 400 treadlife so it can keep the W or Z ratings. You might want to bump the speed rating down and get a higher treadlife if you don't want to be buying tires every year

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 02-13-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have 2005 monte ss /3.8 supercharged,wife has 2005 impala ss /3.8 supercharged ,they both have performance ,just one has 4 doors,Nice looking Monte!!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys. So what your saying is I need to look for a tire with a higher treadlife, what is a good rating and what tires in general do you recommend? Im really not that familar with knowing how to shop for tires.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I put Pirelli PZero Nero on wifes 2005 impala ss , when I need tires on monte I'll get same, had no trouble with tires.

Last edited by zjerry; 02-13-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Try to look for a treadlife of about 540 and higher if you want good life out of the tires. The 7th Gen Monte SS is supposed to have a very high performance tire on it (since it's a performance rated car) and that just kills tire life.

My parents found that out quickly when they only got 11,000 miles on a set of Goodyear Eagle GT tires.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
The LTZ was made to have every "luxury" option and driver comfort in mind.

The SS is for people who want a performance car with a stiffer suspension and power.

So to go from the LTZ to the SS and expect the same creature comforts, you missed your mark.
I don't agree with your last sentence. If every check box on the SS was, well, checked, it's basically optioned just as much as the LTZ. So what's missing as far as "creature comforts" than? His has the heated leather, and looks to be highly optioned.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:08 AM

i think chibi might have implied that the impally ltz and the ss monte has the same comfort. but the monte is a two door and rides a little different then a four door. but on anouther note kurtmc how did the impalla get totaled it looked like the impalla was able to be saved in that corner it is hard to believe that it was totaled if you had insurance with progressive i would under stand they dont like to repair any amarican made car i had them when i got the silverado some one backed into me and dented the bumper they said it was a 30k in damage i took it to a body shop the ajuster said it was only a dent in the bumper and every thing else is straight

Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

^Perhaps.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by monte07
i think chibi might have implied that the impally ltz and the ss monte has the same comfort. but the monte is a two door and rides a little different then a four door. but on anouther note kurtmc how did the impalla get totaled it looked like the impalla was able to be saved in that corner it is hard to believe that it was totaled if you had insurance with progressive i would under stand they dont like to repair any amarican made car i had them when i got the silverado some one backed into me and dented the bumper they said it was a 30k in damage i took it to a body shop the ajuster said it was only a dent in the bumper and every thing else is straight

Wait, the insurance company said $30,000 in damage and it was just a dented bumper?

Quick Reply: LTZ to SS