General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Low Coolant Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Default Low Coolant Light

Hey guys

My low coolant light went on today, so I got home and filled up the resevoir. I could see the liquid in the radiator so I figured that it was fine there. I turned the car back on and the light's still on. I'm wondering if you just have to drive around a bit for it to reset itself, or if it might be the radiator that's low. I'd drive it around for awhile, but their is a guy who has shot two people, one guy is dead. We live in a pretty small town, so I think I'll just stay inside for now.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Low Coolant Light

could be your coolant level sensor...i've seen those go on these cars quiete a few times...

are you in that area where that school shooting was again then?? i'm just hearing about this on the news now...

Old 05-23-2007, 09:58 PM

Nope, nothing about a school shooting. The police released a very little bit of info, but they gave the address of where the second person was shot. I used my resources and found out that it was his wife that got shot at their home. On the records, it said that they both own it, so I'm guessing it's some sort of a love triangle. I just hope they catch that piece of scum sometime soon..

And thanks wizz, I'll just keep my eye on the temp tomorrow.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

make sure you keep an eye on it. it could be the sensor like Wiz said, but it could be an even worse problem, like lower intake manifold gasket.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, the 3.4's and the 3.1's have a lot of problems with intake manifold gaskets going bad...felpro has made a set to fix this problem...but the 3.8's dont have this problem ...

what engine is in yours??

Old 05-24-2007, 10:13 PM

assuming you have a 3.8 and the coolant level in the radiator is full, the cooland level sensor/module is most likely the problem. it either needs to be cleaned, or more likely replaced.

often seems to fail after having your coolant atleast somewhat low, and saying you needed to fill the res. i'd guess u have a leak somewhere.

my common checks on a 3.8 are upper intake gasket, tb gasket, coolant elbow on the left side of the lower intake. and then everything else... if ya do the upper intake besure to check the egr/tb heater passages for leaking though

Old 05-24-2007, 10:43 PM

Sorry, I was thinking I should tell you guys it's a 97 ls (therefore a 3.1), but I clicked post before I changed it. The light went off, So I guess it just took time for it to reset itself. The killer guy is still loose to. I just wanted to make suree I was prepared if it was something other than just it resetting.

Thanks alot guys, I learn alot from this place!