General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Looking to possibly make a purchase..

Old 03-11-2018, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Looking to possibly make a purchase..

Hey Guys! Its been a while since I've been on here! Nice to see that the forum is still live and everyone is still on it.

After jumping from multiple cars, im looking to buy another Monte Carlo. I came across a 2006 Monte Carlo SS with the 5.3 V8. Just wanted everyones opinion on anything majorly wrong with these cars. This one has 260,000kms on it. Trans was done 5 years ago, maintenance has been kept up according to owner. It has a bit rust starting to bubble around wheel wells but nothing major. Im going to have a look at this hopefully tuesday. Was just wanting some input from you guys!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:26 AM

How on Earth does a car rust in Ontario? Mine's been in Florida for at least four years and has no significant rust.

I would replace the battery and alternator on general principles; I've been dealing with these issues and with the LS4, it's about as much fun as dental surgery. If the tranny's been rebuilt and the leather's in good shape, you should be fine.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member

Good to see you again Lorenzo!!

The transmission is the biggest issue to my knowledge with these cars. When you say the trans was done, do you mean rebuilt? Or just a fluid service?

As for the rust, be careful that it's not hiding something worse. Take a good peak under the car and see what the floor pan and the rockers look like.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 96z34man View Post
How on Earth does a car rust in Ontario? Mine's been in Florida for at least four years and has no significant rust.
I'm sure it's because they use some sort of salt solution on the roads in the winter, probably doesn't help they get a longer winter than the US by being further north. From what I've seen, salted roads in the winter rust out cars far quicker than just living by the ocean.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks guys ! The transmission was replaced roughly 5 years ago, even shows on the carproof about the transmission. Yeah from the pics it looks like the rust is on rear fenders and a tiny bit on the gas door. Interior looks spotless. Only thing that concerns me is the high kms, it has 260000 on it. How long do these cars usually last?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
Yeah from the pics it looks like the rust is on rear fenders and a tiny bit on the gas door.
I'd definitely take a closer look at the rust, especially as much as you can see on the back side of the panel. The rust tends to come from the inside out, so if there are small rust spots coming through the outside, the back of the panel may be much worse.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
I'm sure it's because they use some sort of salt solution on the roads in the winter, probably doesn't help they get a longer winter than the US by being further north. From what I've seen, salted roads in the winter rust out cars far quicker than just living by the ocean.
I should've thoiught of that, just used to thinking of the effects of the ocean here, which are actually pretty minor.

The good news is if he needs to replace rear fenders, tnose are available in large quantities. Finding front fenders for 06-07's is like an archaeological expedition.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah rust always scares me. I’ll take a good look at it once I see it! Anything else I should look out for on these ? Does the kms seem way to high?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 AM

If your looking for rust bring a flashlight and get underneath car and look inside where the ground effects attach . Can also check where you would normally jack the car up.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 AM

Can never be too sure with these transmissions, but if it was previously replaced I think you should be ok as long as it feels good to you. I would just check the fluid.

Rust for me is a deal breaker although depending how severe and the location, could easily be fixed!

Other than that, check to see when the battery was last replaced and check spark plugs. These cars are great good luck on your purchase!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.