General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Looking to buy a 2006 Monte SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011 | 07:27 AM
|

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i mean if you continue to run dod. you can tune it out, you do a cam swap and replace all the lifters,cam and what not, or there was one guy that managed to get it to work on a toggle switch.
I'm not too interested in tearing a motor with 18k miles apart. :/. Do you know the guy's username? I searched for a thread, but it keeps coming up with 1 or 2 threads, nothing relevant. Maybe because I'm still new?

It'd be interested in how the toggle switch worked, and what was required for the install.

Old 04-13-2011 | 02:28 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by jpc647
Interesting. A dealership is the only way to certify it, right? This is like a small town one in the next town over from me.

Do you have an SS?
Yes, I have an SS, and the dealer is the only place that you can find a certified used car.

Old 05-23-2011 | 05:07 PM
|

Well I ended up not buying the car. The dealer said he absolutely could not take anything less than $15,800. After driving the car again, it either had a couple bad tires, or needed them balanced and a front end alignment. The car was shaking something fierce at 75-80mph. The car has sat a lot in the last 4 years, so the tires could have "flat spots" too. I would have had a transmission service down and a tranny cooler installed right away, to try and combat the eventual transmission fail.

I ended up purchasing a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, silver with black leather interior, navigation, bluetooth, heated seats, all sorts of goodies. The dealer included a 10 year. 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty with it, so I really couldn't turn it down.

Well low an behold, about a month later, the car is now listed at $14,995. Which I definitely would have paid for the car. It sort of sucks because I would have loved to have that extra 10k in my pocket and had the monte, but oh well I guess.

Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy a 2006 Monte SS-100_2243.jpg  
Old 05-23-2011 | 05:41 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's unfortunate, but it looks like you still got a nice ride! Congrats!

Old 05-24-2011 | 11:28 AM

is that the v6? i matched up against the v6 one. my gf was in the car so i hesitated launching it(wanted to avoid the impending tongue lashing). i got beat by a door. after he got the launch on me there was just no way to reel it back in. theyre a very good match up for the ls4 montes. when i went to the mazda dealer to get my gfs truck back this week i inquired about one for her, and the dealer told me the cars are great, but the sticks have been coming back in for tranny work.

Old 05-24-2011 | 02:30 PM
|

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
is that the v6? i matched up against the v6 one. my gf was in the car so i hesitated launching it(wanted to avoid the impending tongue lashing). i got beat by a door. after he got the launch on me there was just no way to reel it back in. theyre a very good match up for the ls4 montes. when i went to the mazda dealer to get my gfs truck back this week i inquired about one for her, and the dealer told me the cars are great, but the sticks have been coming back in for tranny work.

Interesting. What kind of mods have you done to your SS? I really did want the Monte, but I know about the tranny problems, the wheel hubs, etc. The car needed a tranny cooler, tires, and some other trivial stuff. I wanted one when they first came out, but I was 16 and no way could afford a 30k car at the time. Now they are at a point where most of them are trashed, or have 100k+ miles on them.

Mines been good. I've had one instance of a transmission problem. I ground going into third once, after launching around a corner, I'm thinking it was probably just my fault. The car has a 10 year warranty, so if I have tranny problems, it's covered. And yes, mine is the v6 one. It sucks, because I always wanted the Monte, it was cheaper, but there aren't many around. Oh well, not many 20 year old kids can say they paid for an almost new car outright, right?

And I still have a car that isn't very common.

Last edited by jpc647; 05-24-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 | 02:38 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Congrats on the GC, they're beautiful.

Old 05-24-2011 | 04:54 PM

tune, cold air, and cat back. had i actually stalled the car, and launched it i feel i could have beaten it, but it would have been close. both cars hp and trap speeds are very close, but the monte makes a boat load more torque. i think if a stock ls4 matched up against a stock v6 genesis coupe it would be a drivers race. im sure both cars are capable of high 13 second quarters stock with good drivers. theyre very nice cars. im trying to talk my gf into getting one, but that would mean id have to get a g8 gt instead of a 2ss next. warranties are a beautiful thing, but it sucks having to drive a loaner car. hopefully youll never have a problem, and if you do id hope they wouldnt stick you with an accent while its being repaired.

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 05-24-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 | 07:59 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Congrats on the new ride!

Old 05-24-2011 | 09:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member

bummer you didn't the the MC but I'm liking those genesis coupes more and more all the time

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 2006 Monte SS