General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Looking to buy a 2006 Monte SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I think they seem to be good reliable cars. Good luck with your purchase and if you dont like the deal don't be afraid to walk away.
Thanks. Does anyone know what goes wrong with the transmissions in 2006-2007? Is it typically with modded cars, or neglected cars? I'm not one to hammer on my cars all the time, but if I want to beat a yellow light, or a tuner for a spot, I'm going to do it.

The price is now at $15,800 with a 4 yr 48500 mile warranty at an addition $2200(which I think is exorbitantly high). I'm not paying more than 15 flat for the car.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:57 AM

the trannys have been known to fail under all types of driving conditions. i personally think more people seem to have problems with them when they baby the car. its the guys that drive them like they stole them that dont seem to have issues, myself included. the trans failure i believe has something to do with the torque convertor or a solenoid that fails. supposedly trans cooler and shift kit help with this transmissions life. the tpms should be covered under the factory warranty. at least mine was. known problems with these cars. tpms, remote start, bearings, iss, tranny, and oil consumption when dod is retained. all are covered under the factory warranty except the bearings. mine were replaced under warranty, but theyre not supposed to be covered. i like the car just wish it was rwd. the warranty is definitely worth the money especially with the impending transmission failure. give them the 15800 if they include the warranty.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Some people have been lucky, some people not so lucky with the transmission.

You could install a trans-cooler to help prevent any problems. The bad thing is just that the 4t65e-hd that is in the car has a max power of around 300hp and that's what the car has.

Best thing you can do is make sure you keep the fluid and filter fresh, and not drive the car hard in overdrive. The trans-cooler can help too because most problems are due to excessive heat.
People with the transmission problems, does it have anything to do with beating the hell out of the car? I mean is it a big enough problem I should get the extended warranty?

What do you guys recommend for transmission coolers? Where is the best place in these cars to mount them? I tried a search for "Transmission Coolers", and one for "Tranny Cooler" but it keeps saying no results. Maybe because I'm new.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
the trannys have been known to fail under all types of driving conditions. i personally think more people seem to have problems with them when they baby the car. its the guys that drive them like they stole them that dont seem to have issues, myself included. the trans failure i believe has something to do with the torque convertor or a solenoid that fails. supposedly trans cooler and shift kit help with this transmissions life. the tpms should be covered under the factory warranty. at least mine was. known problems with these cars. tpms, remote start, bearings, iss, tranny, and oil consumption when dod is retained. all are covered under the factory warranty except the bearings. mine were replaced under warranty, but theyre not supposed to be covered. i like the car just wish it was rwd. the warranty is definitely worth the money especially with the impending transmission failure. give them the 15800 if they include the warranty.
do you happen to know the name of the shift kit? and how much work it is to put in?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 PM

People with the transmission problems, does it have anything to do with beating the hell out of the car? I mean is it a big enough problem I should get the extended warranty?
As said above, it has happened to all people- those who abuse them, and those who don't. Bottom line is the transmission was under-par for the job and had too low of a torque rating from running them behind the L67's and such in HD form. GM did a few minor tweaks and upped the torque rating magically to meet that of the LS4 V8.

IMO, the transmission is simply too weak for the engine. They should've done anything necessary to get the 4t80 in there like the GXP bonnevilles with the 4.6 N* V8's.

They can be built up- as the L67 crowd has been doing for years, a fully built trans is $5k or so (depending on what you have to pay for the now discontinued 1" GM Racing drive chain). Obviously that's overkill if you're not modding the engine, but so you know- they can be rebuilt stronger WHEN the one that is in there blows.

From all the people having issues, I'd just assume off the bat that the transmission will fail in it- it is just a matter of time.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Hello John and welcome to the Forum. I just wanted to let you know that I recently purchased a 2006 Monte Carlo SS (Red) in Milwaukee, WI for $15,000.
(29,000 miles) I am also new to the Forum, and was unaware of the Trans
problems, etc. I just Love mine!! They were definatly under rated!
I'm going to Las Vegas tomorrow, and plan on going to the "Monte Carlo"
to do my gambling...lol
Matt.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
As said above, it has happened to all people- those who abuse them, and those who don't. Bottom line is the transmission was under-par for the job and had too low of a torque rating from running them behind the L67's and such in HD form. GM did a few minor tweaks and upped the torque rating magically to meet that of the LS4 V8.

IMO, the transmission is simply too weak for the engine. They should've done anything necessary to get the 4t80 in there like the GXP bonnevilles with the 4.6 N* V8's.

They can be built up- as the L67 crowd has been doing for years, a fully built trans is $5k or so (depending on what you have to pay for the now discontinued 1" GM Racing drive chain). Obviously that's overkill if you're not modding the engine, but so you know- they can be rebuilt stronger WHEN the one that is in there blows.

From all the people having issues, I'd just assume off the bat that the transmission will fail in it- it is just a matter of time.

Agreed!!
Except mine but my SS only has 3200 miles and I drive like a paw paw wait I am a Paw Paw LOL!! You will love the car but my 2 cents take care of it and it will last. It's not a car to continuously hammer on all GM tanny will fail there are all the weak link in the chain From the Aveo to the Vette
But you can make them very strong so go for it.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I'm not looking for a car to hammer on all the time, but If I want to beat a light, or to get around someone, I want something that can do it.

I attached a couple of pictures of underneath the car. There was a little oil on the pan, which looks like it dribbled down from the filter. However, in the last picture there was a trickle of oil up where the pan meets the block. Something I should be worrying about?

The only "issues" I can see with the car are it has a shake at like 75mph, which is probably a tire that is out of balance, or has a flat spot. There is a small ding in the passenger door, and 2 tiny tiny ones in the trunk, one might actually be a paint blemish not a ding though. Overall I like it though.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
When DOD is retained? What do you mean?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM

i mean if you continue to run dod. you can tune it out, you do a cam swap and replace all the lifters,cam and what not, or there was one guy that managed to get it to work on a toggle switch.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 2006 Monte SS