General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

L67 Electrical nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default L67 Electrical nightmare

Already posted to GPF, jsut seeing if you guys have any input.

My room mate has a 1997 GTP, for the past week of so he's been having problems with it. The ignition fuse keeps blowing, causing the car to die and the only way we're able to get it into neutral to push it is to put a temporary jumper on the fuse. Before I start tearing into this thing to find a short I was wondering if anyone had some helpful info. Where is the most likely place for it to be shorting out, or are there any other parts that could be faulty and causing the fuse to blow. Its fuse No. 5 under the hood, ignition main 1. Followed all wires from the ignition on the column to the firewall and didnt see any problems, than followed back from the fuse box to the fire wall and didnt see anything, now I'm completely lost...

Old 10-15-2012, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Come on guys, i know plenty of people here know L67's

heres the latest post from GPF

Got more info for you guys.

The problem started out of no where according to the owner, coming home from work and the car randomly died. The next day he went to go get it and found out the main ignition 1 fuse had blown, replaced it, made it about a block down the road and it blew again. Then he was a dumbass and used a welding rod to bypass the fuse, that got him a good 30 miles till it melted through.

I've got the whole dash taken out and ive found a few crispy wires from some problems he had with his cigarette lighter a year ago, but i cant find anything exposed. I've gone from the ignition on the column to the firewall, from the under hood fuse box to the firewall, and from the ECM to the fuse box and firewall.

Dont see any shorts, whats the first part i should try replacing?