General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Just a Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Default Just a Question

Hey everyone! I just have a quick question about lightbulbs for my 2001 SS. Has anyone ever used the any of the Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs (or similar brand)? I have heard a lot about how good they work, but I haven't seen any of them on a Monte Carlo. I purchased a discount bulb one time off of Ebay, needless to say, they went in the garbage can. If anyone has any information, please let me know.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Default RE: Just a Question

I don't have them, because I have blue bulbs. But a lot of people use Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs and a lot of people like them a lot. I say there worth the money. My buddy had some in his Camaro Z28, they where bright, you could see them from a while aways, and you could see a lot betterthan stock while in the car.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:13 PM

[align=center]Hi `Justin,[/align][align=center]I agree with Steven -06MCLTZ-.[/align][align=center]I think they are great bulbs, & there are great reviews on them.[/align][align=center]Check out the below...Hope that you see things brighter : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Look forward to your future posts.[/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]SilverStar and SilverStar ULTRA
[/align]

What if you had more light when you needed it most, like while driving at night? Brighter light is as easy as upgrading to SilverStar® bulbs . And our newest product, SilverStar ULTRA will offer you the brightest, whitest, 100% legal halogen headlights.

SilverStarheadlights meet all US and Canadian requirements (FMVSS 108 and CMVSS 108).
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click below link forSamples/Pic'sSource[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ce/Silverstar/[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

GPD just did a thread about them. Wanting to know if they'd work in his '06 LTZ.

I know these headlights get a lot of attention on the 2kmc web site.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have used SilverStar bulbs in my previous car (grand am), and now in my current car (Monte).
The 9000 series SilverStar bulbs in my Grand Am were great. Nice and bright and no problems. The fog lights in the GA used #880 bulbs. I installed SilverStar's in the fog lights, and they would burn out after about a month. After going through three sets of Silverstar #880ST bulbs, I said forget it and installed standard 880 bulbs. But kept the 9000 series in my headlights.

In my Monte Carlo, I have the new SilverStar Ultra's in the headlights. Been in there for about a month, and so far no problems. I love how bright they are. Not as good as converting over to HID's, but for a stock replacement they rock! So far I haven't tried SilverStar's in the Monte's fog lights. Seeing as how they are also 880 bulbs (same as my GA's fog lights), I'm not as willing to shell out for them yet.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:54 PM

I agree with everybody on this one. I have replaced everything up front (even the fog lights) with them. I'm routinely driving up a crazy interstate for our satellite hospital and have NO complaintswith them- fog, curving hilly roads, lotsa semis, etc. - you get the picture. I did my homework. Didn't want something so badass that I was always getting 'flashed' by oncoming traffic, but bright enough to really make a difference.
Check out the before and after pics that people have posted on reviews of these lights- stock is pretty dim looking... the Sylvania Silverstars are bright, whiter, and throw further...

Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are these bulbs better as far as what they illuminate versus the stock bulbs used in the '06/07 Montes? Anyone know?

I ask cause if you're used to standard Halogen 9004 bulbs or a sealed beam headlight like used in a '57 Chevy, the bulbs used in the '06 headlights are like 100 times brighter.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM

I don't know, I've been wondering the same thing. My 3LT lights up the road pretty nicely and when I first started driving it I would get a flash every other night while running just the dims, and they aren't out of alignment. I've been thinking about an HID kit but I don't want everything on the road to turn blue or purple like I've seen in some pictures of conversions. I've heard good things about Sylvania Silverstar, but I think I'll wait until I know more about my stock lights to replace them.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:31 AM

I have them, and yes they are much brighter.

IMO it's the color, they are whiter and it makes things easier to see, also they aim more the the right side of the road so you can see in the ditch better (deer etc). I only replaced the low/hgh beams, the fog lights cost to much to make a difference in my opinion.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If your local stores have the SilverStar Ultra's, get them. You won't be disappointed. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Just a Question