General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

its been a while

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default its been a while

This i know, so let me give you an update, and ask for some experienced advice.

2012 was not good to eleanor. Back in may, i had someone back into her causing a hole in the front bumper and the hood to not shut. Insurance totalled her out. I bought her back, spent some money to fix the bumper, but other things came up (like me getting married and having to pay for the wedding) and the hood went untouched... I did manage tohammer the striker foforr the hood back into place and shut it properly. But dents are still prevelant.

In september, i replace the driver side window regulator only for the rivets in the front track to break causing the tint to get peeled off the window.
I got a new job at the local factory and traded off the wifes unreliable exploder for a 2011 impala, but 1 week before that good news, i got rearended in eleanor. So now the hood and rear bumper are in need of attention. The guy who hit me ran, so i didnt get any information... So i am stuck with that bill.

On the lighter side of things, i get get a new trans for her i pulled it from an olds silhouette, it fit right up. Some minor problems with it... But dont you just love gm?

So now for the question/advice portion. Everyone i know that knows what ive been through in this car tells me to sell her and get something worth while like a new camaro...

I dont really want to sell her though. I got her in horrible condition and nursed her back to good health. I don't want to see somebody else break her down. She has 267xxx miles on her bones now. When i was17, i had one just like her and had big plans for it. Now its 10 years later and that ambition hasn't died yet... Should i keep her and keep with the plans or just chalk it up to childhood memories and let her go?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Oooff.. these topics are hard to answer!

Sorry to hear all the misfortunes recently. Some people just have no respect or responsibility!

I'm amazed at the miles it has!! I'm getting very close to 200K and would be happy to roll around to 210K, let alone 267!

Everyone is getting a new Camaro. A new Camaro is going to be much more expensive than a little body work. Considering the emotional ties, I'd say you should keep the car. I haven't driven the new Camaro, so I can't vouch for it.

With 267K, I can't imagine you'd get any money for it anyway. No one wants to buy a car with that many miles, and you're not going to get what you want out of it.

I say give it some more love

Good luck either way

Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 PM

I kinda know what you're going through.

I love my 05 LT but as of lately, it hasn't shown me much love. But not even near the miles you have. I think from time to time if it would be worth it to sell it and get something more practical, as I have a job and commute with 3 other people daily, and it's a little tough to constantly get 3 people in that car, and I also wish it got better mileage.

You just gotta think though, will it be worth it at this time to sell something you have a passion for? You and I both know you won't get even close to what you personally think it's worth, to you. I'd like to get 8g for mine if I ever sold it, but I know to anyone else it isn't worth that.

You gotta weigh out the positives and negatives on something like this, always. Keep in mind of the expenses that come with owning a newer/brand new car, but possibly benefit from a existing warranty.

I'll get to the point; If it were me, and I could afford to, I'd keep the monte and get the Camaro or whatever you're looking for. If your monte is all paid off, then realistically it isn't going to cost you anything to keep it around.

That's all just my opinion though. Honestly though it's the smartest option I think. Especially if you don't owe anything on the monte. It's quite helpful to have another car around in case you'd ever need one for a spare one day.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it's not too messed up you could fix her up, with those miles you won't be happy with what you'll be offered.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 AM

I really dont thunk ill plan on selling her, like i said, when i sold my old car, it had 250,000 miles and i had it for 8 years... I was mad, sad, and in mourning when i learned the kid that bought it totalled it by ramping railroad tracks... And that was a ford contour... Monte Carlos have always had a special place in my heart that no other car come near. My goal i always wanted out of her was 400 whp.

I also forgot to kention with the good also came sprint lowering springs and 9c3 recaro seats.

As far as mileage goes.. Im proud of those miles. I know the trans prolly has that many and the engine is around 145,000 miles on it. Which means it needs a tune up since it has original plugs and wires still. I know if i keep her and work on her to get to the goals i will need a truck or something of the sort to haul parts and other things with. So iid prolly go that route...
I agree with the camaro they are nice, just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO heavy

Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 AM

Hi `Dustin, great to see you online.

"Do what makes you happy" Wish you a SuperSuper 2013

Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

It all depends what the car means to you and what you can afford. In this case, Eleanor means a lot to you, so I see your two options realistically being:
1 - Fix her and keep her going (can get costly over time on an older car).
2 - Buy something else as a reliable daily driver and restore Eleanor to become your "classic" cruiser. Right now, she is not considered a classic car, but she's getting there.

I am a guy who has owned in '84 Z-28 since '98. It was my second car (ditched a beloved '84 Buick Century for the Z28). I've been through Hell and back with the Z28 once (wrapped her around a telephone pole in a winter driving incident). Got her back on the road with the help of my father. In August of 2002, I was to the point the Camaro had been a summer car for a couple of years, but that month, she spun a rod bearing. She's been in pieces in my garage since. My plan is to eventually get my garage in shape that I can work on completely restoring her, new paint job and all. I've told people anything I've done on the Monte will be done BETTER on the Z28 (the Monte allowed me to cut my teeth on some things).

In my case, the Camaro costs me less then $20 to insure for 6 months (fire/theft coverage) and takes up my garage. A choice I've made (like a marriage, for better or for worse). The car means too much to me and I want credit bring her back from the Hell she's in again (just a bunch of other projects keep surfacing, welcome to home owner ship and also my nature of easily side tracked).

Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

First, welcome back Augi.

You certainly do have quite a choice to make. This is where you're going to make your long term plans for the car.

Most people would say to themselves, "it's a 14 year old car with 267,000 miles, and damage that needs repair... time to let it go." But most of those people are not car enthusiasts. Or they have already picked out their next car, and are just looking for validation from their friends that they're making the right choice.

You? Well let's see...

You say the miles don't bother you. Do you plan on driving it no matter how high the miles go? Would you be willing to keep the car going if it had 350,000 or 400,000 miles on it? It's already nearing the 300,000 mark.

The car is not a "classic" right now. Will it be in the future? Maybe. But how long before most people will truely consider a 90's Monte Carlo a classic? Some cars become classics faster than others. And some may never be a classic. It'll be a damn long time before a 1983 Cavalier is considered a "classic car". If ever.

Think realistically now. Considering your future. Paying for your wedding, probably going to buy a house eventually (if you haven't already) meaning a mortgage to pay, and kids possibly. Real life has the tendency to make our dreams and intentions to restore/re-build our cars never happen. Many people had their project car sitting in the garage for years or decades, and never got finished. The car ends up rotting away.

If you have the ambition, and are able to afford to keep the car up while still affording everyday life, then keep the car and go for it. It sounds like you just need front and rear bumper, and some hood repair/replacement.

But think to yourself realistically, is this a car that you would want to take out cruising or to shows when you're 50 years old? If you answer yes, go for it.

This is really tough. Because now that you're married, money is gonna be needed for other things. Things that might be a higher priority than the Monte. I've seen so many car enthusiasts who had to sell their pride and joy (their car) because they needed a more family friendly vehicle. A minivan or SUV.

I think you already know what you're gonna do. You just need to prepare yourself to live with the decision.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM

I keep racking my brain on it... Like i said, i love this car, she does have many problems... But its like a pet. You dont just put your dog down because she has fleas. .. Now i know this isnt a dog nor fleas, but a car and mechanical issues. I know in order to build her the way i want, im eventually looking at replacing the trans.

I think i will consider a truck and making her a weekend/ summer cruiser. Unfortunately though, itll be another 3 years until she gets parked. Alot can happen by then... Like 300,000 miles.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by augi
I keep racking my brain on it... Like i said, i love this car, she does have many problems... But its like a pet. You dont just put your dog down because she has fleas. .. Now i know this isnt a dog nor fleas, but a car and mechanical issues. I know in order to build her the way i want, im eventually looking at replacing the trans.

I think i will consider a truck and making her a weekend/ summer cruiser. Unfortunately though, itll be another 3 years until she gets parked. Alot can happen by then... Like 300,000 miles.
No need to explain. You're among car enthusiasts. I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make the decision. I don't know what I would do either.

But getting a cheap daily driver would certainly help.

Quick Reply: its been a while