General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

interior help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Default interior help

have a 1986 monte carlo that i am rebuilding and instead of piecing together a frickin interior which ive been trying for a year. im going to cover the all the interior trim in some sort of fabric vinyl tweed suede or something else yall suggest.

heres the hardest panel on the car. i have no idea how ill form it into the window i cant sew and i dont think tweed or the suede will stretch that much how about vinyl.

what other fabrics/materials would you suggest

also a good adhesive seeing that im in florida and interior temps will get to about 120

Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Default RE: interior help

well you actually have a few choices here.
1, cover it like your talking about it.
2. red dye it to all match the color of the car and the color you want
3. sand it all smooth and pint it.

none of them are real difficult but all take time and allot of Patience and did i mention time and patience?

what are you trying to do? are you haveing a issue with trying to ind all the same color of interior pannels?
or are you trying to match them to one pannel or style?

if you cover them you can do it with a spray aheisive and actually they will strech and look nice if done right.
If you want to do it your self there is a artical in this months trucking mag. on how to do this and also how to make shapes in them etc... i seen it to day at the C.V.S. here in TX. has a orange and yellow truck on the cover i belive.

If you want to dye them it is real easy . scuff them up with a scotch brite pad to get the lose stuff off of them and then get plastic interioer primmer and paintabel dye. they come as kit and also in a spray bpms at a local auto body suply store. (keystone automotive is nat. company and they have it )

If you just want to paint it to make it look like osme of the nice smooth stuff you see in some of the newr cars there are a few ways to go about it.
Easiest way is to start sanding on it and get it all as smooth as you can then use a plastic paint adheisive promoter and flex agent. and start with primmer coats and wet samd them smooth up to a 1500 grit paper or higher. the higher grit you go the smoother they will turn out and nicer they will look

Then shoot the color you want on the primmer and do the same with it wet sand it all till it is smooth and shoot color on it agian.. I would say min of at least three coats of color and at least two of primmer. and once all is said and done i would use a min. of 3 coats of clear sanding in between each coat
but remember then end product is only as good as your prep.

the other way you can do it is not any eaiser but sme times in the areas of cracks etc. it works better.
use some fiberglass resin and some mat to cover the holes in the pannel. then sand it as smooth as you can then go back over it with bondo till it all comes down to the sam eheigh acrossed the pannel and looks smooth and then treat it the same as you would in the aboved mentioed way to do it.

the other option is to use the pannels you have now and make a mold off of them. then make your own but that is not as fun nor is it easy to get right.

cover your pannel with masking tape. then cover it in tin foil making sure to get it as smooth as you can.
then cover the whole thing in plastic wrap and start layering a layer of fiberglass resin on to it and then a layer of mat. and then a layer of resen agian. let it dry.

pop out your old pannel and this shoudl produce a negative for your mold then you can cover the mold the way you did the pannela dn do the whole thing agian to make your pannel.

if you do it this way figuer out if or where you would like and lights, speakers etc... that you want seen and mold it all in to the pannel at this time being carefule to sand those areas real good when final sanding is done to make sure it comes out nice. paint and clear coat anmd reinstall your new pannel

But once agian this is the least of the ways i would say do it for one that wants a stock looking pannel unless you are goign to go completly custom on the inside of the car iw ould avoid this at all cost as it is soooooo time consuming to get it right and now a one day job etc....

Also if you look in my photo a,bum you can see my dash on my car it was the first method i talked about just sanding it all smooth and painting and sanding it took me about 2-3 days of working on it to get it to the smoothnes that i wanted to have on it.

for t

Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 PM

ive been trying to piece a matching interior together for about a yearand well ive had enoughand am doing a black and silver/charcol interior.

thinking paint all the panels black and headliner charcol tweed and a the carpet charcol also.

seat covers are the black covers with silver stripes u see on ebay and mikes montes.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:41 AM

ya man im damn good with fiberglass most of this car will be fiber whole front clip trunk. itll be awhile but it will get done about a year

Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 PM

if you just want them in black and to look stock i would take them out and do the interior dye.

or vinl dye

Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you contacted Mike at Mike's Montes?

He should have enough interiors laying around to do your car and then a few.

Mike is a great guy to deal with and if you have any problems I know he'll work to make it right.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 PM

Just do a Trading Spaces job on it. Hit it with paint and put little chickens on it or something. LOL!

I ca't believe I just wrote that....

Old 08-23-2007, 09:32 PM

i dont have 600 or 700 dollars to put a whole new interior panels in it or i would call mike