General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 PM

I own a 1997 Monte Z34 and I've got the exact same problem but it started under a different scenario. I had no lower rear brake lights (just the window light) and had my turn signal switch replaced. I didn't notice it at first but I've got no low beams at night now. The damn things work during the day but at night they don't which is really just great. Everything else is fine except for this. My high beams work fine and I didn't have this problem until I had the turn signal switch replaced. I swapped the 20 amp headlight fuse under the hood with a new one but it made no difference. What a joke. the mechanic I took it to is good and I've never had any problems with him before but he's convinced that the problem is probably with the headlight switch on the dash itself, which is bull****. So I'm basically screwed. Can anybody tell me where the headlight relay is on these? That's my last hope for an easy fix but I know that it probably isn't the problem. Cash for Clunkers is starting to look really good right now.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 PM

Ok, I found the solution to my problem and possibly yours. The bottom line with mine was that there was a connection in the harness under the left side of the dash between the switch and the 20 amp fuse under the hood that was severed, thus no power was getting to the low beams as there was no control power. This was confusing because, like I mentioned in my previous post, the low beams worked during the day but not at night so there are separate leads for the day and night modes of the low beams when you have daytime running lights. Brilliant, right?

Well, that's it in a nutshell: Broken connections on the under dash wiring harness that controls the headlights. Your best bet is getting a good electrician to hunt the problem down. If they're for real it won't cost you that much. If it costs more than $200.00 you're getting ripped off.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 AM

You never said if you found out the problem. If not, my guess is something is up with the relay. Either a bad connection or bad relay, or even bent pin if thats possible. I know when I was trying to disable my DRLs, I was bending pin 87 and 87a to try to disable them and one of the pins, when bent, gave me that same outcome, no lows, and I believe the front right high beam only along with a message on the dash. Hopefully that helps if you havent solve this issue already...

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Ground strap, driver side by the upper radiator mount. Wire brush/file/grind it clean. Had this problem on my 2000 SS w/ 3800 and checked everything else before finding it was just a damn ground!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:00 PM

sorry wish i could help. i would like to see somepics of your cars though.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Heres some pics.

Attached Thumbnails IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem-0720091932.jpg   IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem-0703091000c.jpg   IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem-1218081833.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 PM

was this ever solved? i have no idea, but i would like to know

Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 PM

Im having the same problem, no low beams. I checked the bulbs, ok, checked all fuses, replaced the multifunction switch. What did i miss?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That sounds like a grounding issue to me. If I had to take a bet, I'd say grounding issue, considering ti came back temporarily. Where do the wires for this car run? I know Ford's at one point ran wires right under the carpet, and the drivers foot rubbing the wires would rub the insulation off the wire, and then cause a dead ground against the metal. It could be that when teh wires got moved around, one wire was rubbing up against something that rubbed through the insulation, and now you are having the problem. Hitting bumps and vibrations from the car make it so that maybe that one time your lights worked, that ti was not screwed up. Electrical issues are the biggest b*tch in the world to figure out. It's not grounding properly somewhere though. It may even be that a piece of metal where the ground might be bolted to is getting rusty and it not be making good contact.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 AM

i ended up finding 2 bad wires (green) at the pass floorboard where they go thru the firewall..... fyi drl wire grn/blk
headlight drk blu.

pullled right in half by hand. soldered them and im in buisness.

Quick Reply: IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem