General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 AM

Honda is about the only thing I don't drive. I have a Saleen Mustang Vert, LS1 Formula Trans Am, 01 Durango, and a 30mpg 4cyl twin turbo shadow!

oh and yes I do get hell for owning a TA and a Stang, but I can admit i'd take my TA any day.

Last edited by edx2x; 07-28-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 PM

what aftermarket alarm is on the car? if you have the wiring diagram for the alarm that would greatly help. get that wiring diagram or a link to it and send it our way. The fact that messing with the wires turned the lights on leads me to believe u have a loose connection or ground. check every wire in every connection (pull on each wire in each connector that has to deal with the headlamps, dont pull hard but pull firmly and wiggle it) let us know if that helps

Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 PM

it's possible that the one light out scenario is the high beam being out... but as to why the others dont work, it's probably the multifunction switch on the steering column. in the grand prix/regal world, it's somewhat common. soo much wiring goes through that multifunction switch, it's not funny. The multifunction switch on my regal started acting similarly. turn on the headlights and no low beams. flick the brights a few times and the lows would come back... this worked for a few times, but after 2 or 3, only high beams.

while it is remotely possible to be related to your alarm, it's definitely not the only possible cause. If you want to rule out the alarm brain itself, you'd need to unplug the alarm brain and test...

(didnt notice elsewhere... but do the rear tails work as normal? side markers? turn signals?...these would likely be affected by the alarm if it were to blame also)

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Toasty
(didnt notice elsewhere... but do the rear tails work as normal? side markers? turn signals?...these would likely be affected by the alarm if it were to blame also)
these are also wired thru the multifunction switch. but its a good point. there have been a few members here who have had to replace theirs

Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Default re:wiring

if i remember right the wirng for any after market wiring is a positive and negative wires that means so every car runs there wiring on a negative or positive circiut. i am not sure what ur mc runs on. so it jsut depends on the car itself. i hop ethis helps

Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 AM

All other lamps on the rear work fine. Im not sure which alarm it has, but the alarm still seems to be working fine, just the headlights dont go on when I hit the lock/unlock button (obviously thats whats broken)

Is there anyway to test the multifunction switch? The headlights wouldnt come on when I pull the manual **** if the multifunction switch is bad?

Also, about the wiring; It wasn't necessarily me touching the wires to get both the brights to come on initially, it could have been that, but I was also checking fuses at the time, etc. I didn't notice until I was done that both had been working again somehow.

Im going to check the bulb tomorrow again and the wiring.

It seems to me it has to be something that controls both headlight lo beams together because I did have both brights for a short time, and I can turn the brights on and off still, just no lo-beams.

I think it boils down to the multi-function switch or possibly the relay??? Could the relay cause the low beams to be unable to turn on? ALSO REMEMBER THE LIGHTS DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY COME ON AT NIGHT ANYMORE WHEN ITS TIME!!!

Would the lights not automatically come on at night via the sensor if the multifunction switch is bad?

Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by edx2x
All other lamps on the rear work fine. Im not sure which alarm it has, but the alarm still seems to be working fine, just the headlights dont go on when I hit the lock/unlock button (obviously thats whats broken)

Is there anyway to test the multifunction switch? The headlights wouldnt come on when I pull the manual **** if the multifunction switch is bad?

Also, about the wiring; It wasn't necessarily me touching the wires to get both the brights to come on initially, it could have been that, but I was also checking fuses at the time, etc. I didn't notice until I was done that both had been working again somehow.

Im going to check the bulb tomorrow again and the wiring.

It seems to me it has to be something that controls both headlight lo beams together because I did have both brights for a short time, and I can turn the brights on and off still, just no lo-beams.

I think it boils down to the multi-function switch or possibly the relay??? Could the relay cause the low beams to be unable to turn on? ALSO REMEMBER THE LIGHTS DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY COME ON AT NIGHT ANYMORE WHEN ITS TIME!!!

Would the lights not automatically come on at night via the sensor if the multifunction switch is bad?
.... that's certainly possible that the auto headlights are affected... i would have suspected the auto headlights to come on, but just be on brights if that is where they were left, but these things are sometimes tough to diagnose at best... the circuitry to the headlights routes through the multifunction switch, so yes if there is a promblem with the multifunction switch, the headlight **** may be rendered useless.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 PM

are u sure that the headlights dont come on with the autolamps? most people turn off their brights when they park the car. perhaps the autolamps themselves turn the lights to low beams when the car turns off. have u tried to just turn on the brights when it gets dark without turnin the switch on?

Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by kweef
are u sure that the headlights dont come on with the autolamps? most people turn off their brights when they park the car. perhaps the autolamps themselves turn the lights to low beams when the car turns off. have u tried to just turn on the brights when it gets dark without turnin the switch on?

easiest way to see if the auto headlights are indeed working is to check the dash lights and tail lamps to see if they come on... covering the sensor on the dash will help trigger the auto lights for testing purposes. (cover with a sheet of paper or a rag, etc)

Old 07-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is definetely a tough one. But I know that EVERYTHING electrical on these cars is controlled by the BCM, and not directly by the switch. The switch, or the light sensor, tells the computer to turn on the lights, and sends juice to the relay, and then the lights. When an alarm system is wired in, it plays havok with the BCM.
It is POSSIBLE that your BCM has taken a dump on you. I had one go out in my '01, and it was frustrating. Get the alarm un-hooked and wired back to stock, unless the factory alarm doesn't work either, and then I would HIGHLY suspect the BCM again.

Quick Reply: IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem