General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Default IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem

If someone can fix this I will send you $15.00 via paypal. The first to post their solution (that ends up fixing this car) in this thread WILL get the prize money. I know I have zero posts but I do have numerous ebay feedback, ls1tech feedback, and caraudio feedback under this user name. PLEASE HELP AND READ ALL! Here is the situation.

The car is a 2000 monte carlo 3.4L. Currently the ONLY LIGHT WORKING ON THE CAR IS ONE BRIGHT. Neither of the low beams work. I have already replaced the headlamp switch and that is not the problem.

The car does have an alarm and when you hit the lock button it USED to flash the headlights, now it does not.

The headlamp switch was never really used on this car. The headlights used to normally automatically come on when it was dark enough to need headlights, this obviously does not happen anymore.

The problem happened sudden; they turned the car on and all that would work was one bright light.

ALSO! I checked the bulbs originally, all were good. I was messing under the hood one day and somehow I noticed afterwards that both brights were working. Both brights continued to work for about two weeks, then once again the driver went to turn on the brights one night and only one worked (how it is now)

The car does say Hi-beam out now in the info window, so theres a chance the one high beam bulb needs replacing; but what about the lo-beams? And if the bulb does not need replacing, what could cause all three of these problems?

Thanks, sorry if this is confusing.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

buy a honda! does that win? send the money to me, thanks and glad to help!! only kidding just messing around man! sorry, i guarantee to you maybe double or nothing it will be taken care of by this time tomorrow night! 11:59 pittsburgh, pa time! not sure on time zones! goodluck, only kidding on the honda thing!! see ya

Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 PM

Bad relay?
Blown fuse in power distribution block?

check em and let us know.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 PM

The relay for the headlamps is inside the dash side of the fuse box, correct? I tried to get at it, got all the way to it, got the nut off it the box and couldnt for the life of me pop that cover off to get at the relay. The space is very limited and I had to make some crazy socket combo just to get the bolt on the fuse box loose; just to find I couldn't get the cover off. I did not want to damage that cover as I know it has to be tight for the car to function.

Also, I have checked all of the fuses in all four fuse boxes.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member

my vote is check ground wires...also check you alarm wires...if you can

Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 PM
15 Year Member

my vote is, show me the money!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member

if i win i dont want the money send it to a worthy breast cancer foundation

Old 07-28-2009, 12:20 AM
15 Year Member

Justin...aka...Buds, hey justin, you know by now, i hope i'm only kidding, this goes out to all who may post to this by the way!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Default impossible maybe ans

i agree with jason aka buds i think it has something to do with the after market car alarm. i one time had with a after maket alarm also it messed with my electrical on my 2004 monte carlo also i dont remeber actcaully what it was but it had to do witht he alarm system. i hope this helps
thanks jerry

Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
if i win i dont want the money send it to a worthy breast cancer foundation
This here's a good guy.

About the alarm, how would I be able to go about checking that? Seems like it would be endless unless I knew thats where my problem was for sure...

Quick Reply: IMPOSSIBLE Headlight Problem