General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Info: Ignition switch recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Ignition switch recall

Video about how the ignition switch fails mechanically.

The video depicts a Chevy Cobalt ignition switch which is different from the Monte, but similar in design failure.

Last edited by plumbob; 02-28-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2015

I talked to my chevy dealer they don't change that they give you a ten cent part for your keychaine so it not so heavy its a joke in less they changed sinice I talked to him

Old 02-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Yes, that's correct. They don't replace the switch.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

They closed the open space on the key for me
I don't have lots of keys on that ring, just the remote, car key, and a house key.
watching the video now. Thanks

Old 02-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I want to point something the ignition switch in that Cobalt in the video is 100% different from our Montes. I believe that switch design is what prompted the original recall.
I cannot confirm, but I have heard rumor some GM cars (probably with the CObalt style switch) were getting new re-designed ignition switched.

I believe our Montes got roped in as a "knee jerk" reaction. While GM was dealing with the design problems found with one model, enough people with our design piped up with issues. As a response, they added us to the recall but with a different solution.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:55 AM

That's bull****! if ours is even possibly defective they should replace the ignition switch, all lives matter for this!!

Old 03-02-2016, 09:38 PM

Back when we first had problems with our ignitions (monte & impala) , we called GM and they said we'd be getting new ones with the recall. Needless to say, that never happened, and I fixed them myself. I can't speak for everyone, but our problems were with the cylinder acting up, making the switch act weird, throwing security lights, stranding us and shutting off on us in motion. (yes that happened to us...) I've rebuilt multiple cylinders now, and played with the switches for hours, even had to drill mine out. Our weak point is the cylinder, hence the new design and p/n for our cars. This also backs up why they are bandaiding the problem with a spacer, IMO key wobble wears out the cylinder, causing issue with the PASSLOCK 2 (which uses some magical magnetic design to sense the key) garbage in the switch. If passlock thinks your key isn't correct even 1/16th of the time, your in for a bad week. Ask how we know.

IMO, they should be giving us new cylinders with the spacers. The switch (in our cars atleast) is a pretty solid design when passlock is working. Passlock is located in the cylinder and connected to the switch, making it look like the switch is the problem, when really your cylinder or passlock chip is taking a...

BTW, now we're both running keys cut from a locksmith by the code, they look much less sloppy than the GM cut ones... Not one problem since. I just ignore their postcards about the ignition, they don't want to fix it right, they're not touching it.