General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

If GM revived the Monte for one year, which gen would you want it to resemble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2010
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by tadcaster
swivel bucket seats like the old school monte (forget what year swivel seats where)
id be 1st in line for that.
1973-1977.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Well, that pretty much sums that up. We have a winner.
I wouldn't call a winner just yet.

I have to agree with Amy. 4th gen.

If GM is going to do a "retro" Monte Carlo, I think with the design of current retro-styled cars on the market, it would be either a 4th gen or a 1st gen.

As much as I like the 2000-2007 Montes (after all I do own one), it's the last body style they offered to the public. And it's only been out of production for 4 years. The 6th/7th gen body style had run it's course, and was WAY overdue for a re-design. It's currently an 11 year old design. For GM to bring the same body style back now would be insane, and begging for failure IMO. It wouldn't matter if it's RWD with a Corvette engine.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:38 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz

As much as I like the 2000-2007 Montes (after all I do own one), it's the last body style they offered to the public. And it's only been out of production for 4 years. The 6th/7th gen body style had run it's course, and was WAY overdue for a re-design. It's currently an 11 year old design. For GM to bring the same body style back now would be insane, and begging for failure IMO. It wouldn't matter if it's RWD with a Corvette engine.

Mmmm... you make a good point sir. I'd have to say of all the 4th gens, the '84 takes the cake aesthetically.

Oh, and can't forget, standard trans is imperative. Talk about overdue.

Where's a GM rep when you need one, I think we could successfully revive the Monte after some careful thought and planning in here

Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Don't get me wrong. I love my 6th gen. And plan on keeping it a long, long time. I like the styling of them.

I'm simply stating the fact that in 2007, sales were very poor. Despite the V8 SS, every Chevy dealership in my area had left over 2007 SS Monte's for a year or two that nobody wanted. I would hate to see GM bring back a RWD 6th/7th gen Monte only to see them sitting on the lots unsold again.

I think either a 1st gen or a 4th gen SS styled Monte would be great. Of course it would have to be RWD with a strong powerplant under the hood.

I've seen many threads on many Monte forums discussing this very topic. And the most popular styles mentioned are a retro 4th gen Monte, and a newly designed Monte based on a couple different Holden models.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 PM
1 Year Member

Oh I love my 6th gen too. 7th gen I'm iffy on... the power is awesome, but the styling just looked like so many other GM cars. Man I wish they'd listen to us. Consumers actually kind of know what we're talking about when we discuss what we want... ah well. I'm a huge fan of the 1st gen as well, especially since it takes the title of 'Chevy's longest hood ever.' I think the way they styled it was ingenious. And if you put a blower motor on that beast....

Old 05-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

You touched on exactly what the problem is.

"Consumers actually kind of know what we're talking about when we discuss what we want..."

I think if GM listened to what the consumers were saying, they would sell more cars. Never mind the special interest groups sabotaging the design of everything. If it was up to the special interest groups, we'd all be riding in solar powered golf carts that don't go any faster than 20 MPH. For your safety of course.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 PM
1 Year Member

Haha! They can have their wheezy little 4-banger/electric imports with tires the size of a baby's head... and I'll have my RWD V8 that roars like a real car at the slightest touch of the throttle.

... I'm dreaming, of course, but if life worked how I wanted it, that's how these things would go

Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Oh I love my 6th gen too. 7th gen I'm iffy on... the power is awesome, but the styling just looked like so many other GM cars. Man I wish they'd listen to us. Consumers actually kind of know what we're talking about when we discuss what we want... ah well. I'm a huge fan of the 1st gen as well, especially since it takes the title of 'Chevy's longest hood ever.' I think the way they styled it was ingenious. And if you put a blower motor on that beast....
That's true.. The 7th Gens were great cars, but they looked a lot like some of the other Chevy's out there. The fact that the car was still FWD (even with a V8) after 2005 probably didn't help much either. Speaking of 1st Gens, I found this on YouTube recently. This is one of the first commercials for our beloved Monte!
YouTube -Vintage Chevrolet Monte Carlo Commercial

That being said, even though the name plate is near 40 years old, they still can revive it. They did it with the Camaro, (even though it seems claustrophobic with the tiny windows), the Impala has been going near non-stop since 1958, and the Corvette has definitely been going non stop since 1953. It should be written that if a car has a V8 engine, it should be either RWD. (AWD if it's a truck or SUV.)

Last edited by 05MonteLS; 05-28-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Jon

Setting the PACE of the new generation.

Honestly. I think they should shock us again with a new style like they did with the 5Th gen,(though im not a fan of that generation) They gave the monte a hole new look.
I wouldnt want them to recreate the 4th gen's look because thats what makes the 4 gens so special.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:30 PM

First gen. restyled like they did with the Camaro, or Dodge did with the Charger, Ford Mustang, etc... Definitely RWD also........

Last edited by mmient; 05-28-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: If GM revived the Monte for one year, which gen would you want it to resemble?