General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

idk what to do :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

never really liked the crx style car but it would be a good commuter.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 PM

its not my absolute favorite body style but its unique lol. it'll be fun gettin in and out of it considering im 6'3'' lol

Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM

i would think about selling the monte and searching craigslist for a new car

that or getting a flashlight, old t-shirt and really inspecting the CRX, make sure you get up underneath it. out of all the ricer cars, the CRX gets beat on the most.

don't think i've ever seen one in decent shape

Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just know this: WHEN the timing belt snaps on that CRX, you need a new top end

5 speeds are fun though, and CRX's don't weigh jack

If I were you though, I'd keep the Monte

Then again, I have a Monte and a Honda

Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 AM

I would be very weary with buying a '91. Every car is going to break down at some point, no matter how well it's treated or maintained; it's just a matter of when. The older the car is the more likely it will happen sooner than later. Just keep that in mind, and keep money saved up for when it happens! Other than that, if you feel that it's what is best for you then go for it

Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM

ive tried selling the monte and the highest offer ive gotten was 1600. and i need to trade asap bc i cant get this job while i drive the monte

Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 PM

i love my monte but it gets horrible gas mileage for it being a v6. and i dont have the funds to get it checked out right now.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Just know this: WHEN the timing belt snaps on that CRX, you need a new top end

5 speeds are fun though, and CRX's don't weigh jack

If I were you though, I'd keep the Monte

Then again, I have a Monte and a Honda

i know this lol. i helped rebuild the entire head on a b18c1 in trade school so i think a little d16 shouldnt be too much of a problem. plus there are TONS of places around here that specialize in honda parts lol.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM

Hey man, I feel your pain.

I just ended up trading my 89' RX7 with only 70k Miles on it for an Accord.
Like the others said though, do what feels right. It will be great to get the extra mileage,
then again it's gonna hurt to let the Monte go.

All in all, later down the road you might catch a huge deal on a mildly wrecked or one that has just had a blown motor. Which would give you the perfect chance to sneak in the car and "fix" it to your own liking!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by oneslowmonte
I would be very weary with buying a '91. Every car is going to break down at some point, no matter how well it's treated or maintained; it's just a matter of when. The older the car is the more likely it will happen sooner than later. Just keep that in mind, and keep money saved up for when it happens! Other than that, if you feel that it's what is best for you then go for it
I agree-
While these cars can be great on fuel economy, a 6th gen Monte w/the 3.4 gets nearly the same mileage. I get nearly 30mpg in mine on the highway. And that's without the VTEC kicking in.. Oh, and did I mention the car looks sexy!

Just know that no car is perfect, and the 6th Gen Montes can suffer from a lot of problems. That aside, I still think my car is built quite well.

I've driven a car that was over 20 years old once, (My Olds 98 from '82, one family car) up to 2006. I know all about this sort of thing because I've had nearly every kind of vehicle problem that there is- from engine failures, transmission failures, screwy computer-controlled carbs., etc. On top of that, the car was a 2-door, (98's were mostly 4-doors, as were the Delta 88s) which made finding parts for it very difficult. The 2-door did keep me and my sister in the back seat, since they didn't have the child lock-out feature on the 4-door models. I don't think that came out until the 90s.

Last edited by 05MonteLS; 08-26-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: idk what to do :(