General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

I want to upgrade my 2006 Monte Carlo ls. Any suggestions would be very much apprecia

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 09:10 AM
Default I want to upgrade my 2006 Monte Carlo ls. Any suggestions would be very much apprecia

Old 08-29-2019, 10:20 AM

To be of any real help, we could use a bit more info first:
-What things are you unhappy with / looking to upgrade? Engine performance, suspension, audio, etc
-What is your mod budget? We dont want to suggest a twin turbo LS swap as a performance mod if your budget is $150
-Any other restrictions? IE have minimum mechanical skill but dont want to pay a shop to do it, so youd like to stick to bolt ons, etc

Old 08-29-2019, 05:15 PM
Default Deaf not rich lol but I do work a lot so am capable of buying parts.

So I bought the car used and I kind of want to just build the whole thing up and make it badass . I’d like to do it myself I do have a decent amount of mechanical experience but not a pro by any means. I just love the car and want to build up the engine with performance parts without turning it into one of those lame fast and the furious cars lol but I wanna do engine , suspension, and whatever else.i have tools and a lift I can use as well hope this helps thank you

Old 08-30-2019, 09:01 AM

That should help get more responses. How much power are you looking to get out of the engine?

I can't be of much help as I dont really know anything about the 3500/3900 platform. Doesnt seem to be much available off the shelf, but hopefully some members that are more familiar will comment given the clarification you've provided.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The biggest thing with a 3500 is a tune. There isn't too much with performance on those cars unless you start doing some custom fab work yourself. But there is some good performance left on the table with that engine, and the transmission is just awful at stock.

I would clean up that engine bay and make sure you don't have any gaskets leaking, really hard to tell from how dirty everything is.

Depending on the mileage, I would start replacing some suspension parts to get the car riding really well too.

And just clean it up, get a nice new set of tires/wheels, and enjoy what you have. The 3500 can be pretty reliable, though no powerhouse of an engine.

The 06/07 SS stand-up spoiler will be a direct swap for your ugly flat spoiler too if you wanted a little change there. Sometimes the old spoiler will ruin the paint underneath and pull a little far, so the top of the trunklid might need a sanding and respray, but a body shop can blend under the spoiler so it's not a FULL trunk-lid repaint if you don't need it.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Default Thanks bud probably a dumb question but how do you clean up an engine bay lol what ?

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
The biggest thing with a 3500 is a tune. There isn't too much with performance on those cars unless you start doing some custom fab work yourself. But there is some good performance left on the table with that engine, and the transmission is just awful at stock.

I would clean up that engine bay and make sure you don't have any gaskets leaking, really hard to tell from how dirty everything is.

Depending on the mileage, I would start replacing some suspension parts to get the car riding really well too.

And just clean it up, get a nice new set of tires/wheels, and enjoy what you have. The 3500 can be pretty reliable, though no powerhouse of an engine.

The 06/07 SS stand-up spoiler will be a direct swap for your ugly flat spoiler too if you wanted a little change there. Sometimes the old spoiler will ruin the paint underneath and pull a little far, so the top of the trunklid might need a sanding and respray, but a body shop can blend under the spoiler so it's not a FULL trunk-lid repaint if you don't need it.
Probably a dumb question but how can I clean up my engine bay?

Old 09-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Default Also you said it has a ****ty tranny?

How can I keep it running good? Any suggestions?

Old 09-02-2019, 05:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Keeping it running good is a routine maintenance. Plugs/wires if it's due for them, cleaning up carbon build up around the throttle body.

I have never done any performance mods to a 3500, but it's the next generation of the 3400 (which I have worked on). My thoughts on a budget:
- Remove the resonator (the res can reduce a little performance).
- Consider a cold air intake or fender well intake. Not sure if there is an off the shelf one you can buy or if you will have to fabricate on.
- Not sure if half shafting the throttle body will actually yield anything on this, since the car is drive by wire. If you play with this idea, use a junk yard spare.

And of course, tuning (as mentioned earlier). A simple tuning change can really make a difference, change the personality of the car a little.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mikeferguson88
Probably a dumb question but how can I clean up my engine bay?
A lot of rags that you don't care about, and a bottle of simple green. Just start spraying and cleaning it all up. Right now if you had an oil leak on a valve cover, or something else, the engine is just so dirty that you would never see it.

After a full deep clean, you just need to give it a quick once-over everytime you wash the car and it stays clean. I usually just use a damn cloth as I'm drying my car, and popping the hood and drying the hinges and everything.

Originally Posted by mikeferguson88
How can I keep it running good? Any suggestions?
Pan drop and fluid/filter changes every 30k. And just not beating on it too much (hard digs, manually shifting, etc.) And that's where the tune also comes in. Having someone go into the tune and adjust the transmission so that the shift times are quicker, and faster will prevent the transmission from purposely slipping and heating up the clutches just so the car "feels smoother"

Old 09-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Default Update need some help I’m worried I have a blown head gasket!!!😢

I keep leaking coolant , there is a brown substance on the side of the coolant reservoir and I generally hate life right now. No white smoke or bubbles in my oil tho so idk what to do my car started to overheat and I shut it off immediately. Help please!

Quick Reply: I want to upgrade my 2006 Monte Carlo ls. Any suggestions would be very much apprecia