General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

4th Gen ('81-'88): i want to show off my monte carlo ss but i cant NEED HELP

Old 04-06-2016, 08:39 PM
Default i want to show off my monte carlo ss but i cant NEED HELP

i got a 88 ss 305 ho all original just got it i wasn't running right took smog off and changed plug wires when i did that it ran better find out it was out of time so i unpluged the 4 prong connector and timed it to 6 degrees now im stuck trying to figure out if its really out of time now and it idles at 2000! rpm need to figure out also it was high idling before anything was done im just not sure if its getting timed right due to high idle please some assistants would be swell maybe something stupid i checked for leaks no codes 1 more thing its q-jet electric assistanted

Old 04-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Some of the information you are providing is not very clear.
But I will take a shot at it.
This is a Carbureted engine, must have a Quadrajet Carb. ( you might want to clean that and put a kit in it)
If it's been sitting a while the Fuel system may be dirty, and gas maybe bad. ( you might want to change the fuel filter)
Spark Plugs could be fouled?
Check the distributor cap and rotor make sure there are no cracks.
It would be common for this to start and idle at high RPM's and drop down as it warms up if it is working properly.
Just some ideas.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:40 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I agree with drivernumber3 that if it has been sitting that the old fuel and carb could be causing trouble. Like drivernumber3 said clean the carb and maybe even rebuild it, new fuel, new fuel filter. Then if you are still having trouble, I would then move on to the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. If still having issues after that, I would have someone check the timing again.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member

I have owned 12 of the 85-88 SS montes over the years, prob my favorite car of all time. Still own an 86 SS aerocoupe. As driver3 said look at the carb. These qjets are fine carbs but temperamental as hell. The high idle can be a sticking choke pull off, or just a gummed up carb. There is a tps in the carb but usually the service engine light will throw a code for that.
If were my car I'd start with the choke pull off .

Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 PM

thank yall for replys been gone a few days it was the choke linkage causing it to stay at high idle so only real question i got left is when it starts with choke on it runs at 2500 i do thank thats to high the choke seems to work right does it need adjusted maybe also what other information do u guys need

Old 04-15-2016, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member

Are you referring to it when started from a cold start? I mean as when overnight and first time of the day when you start it up, high idle for a minute then it kicks down to normal idle?
Or if you tap the gas pedal to it kick down to normal then?

Old 04-15-2016, 01:14 PM

it starts at 2500 if i hit the gas i does idle down a little bit but it stays at 2200 2300

Old 04-23-2016, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member

I'd start with choke pull off. They are notorious for sticking. I'm not talking about the linkage but the choke pull off valve itself.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:39 PM

ok ill check it fast idle screw was set in to far did do that got a lot better still not right tho also buffing and finshing the car with decals so ill be at a show soon

Search this Thread