General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

I need your advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Default I need your advice please.

I am considering buying a 1971 Monte Carlo with the 402 and a 4-speed. Numbers matching engine and tranny. I am quite knowledgeable about all muscle cars and their values. However, this car will need to be completely restored and you all know how expensive that can be. I simply can not find any comparisons. Can anyone here help with a possible value "as is" and/or restored?
Thanks,
Al in Maine

Old 08-19-2011, 08:21 PM

Wow, a Monte Carlo forum and not one person with an opinion on my Monte Carlo question?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by dillon14
I am considering buying a 1971 Monte Carlo with the 402 and a 4-speed. Numbers matching engine and tranny. I am quite knowledgeable about all muscle cars and their values. However, this car will need to be completely restored and you all know how expensive that can be. I simply can not find any comparisons. Can anyone here help with a possible value "as is" and/or restored?
Well you could help us out by providing more information.

* How many miles on it?
* By completely restored...where is the majority of the work going to need to be done? Is the body rusted heavily? Any dents or accident damage? Interior wise; what condition? Is there rust on the floor pans? Is the interior wrecked (seats, dash, gauges, radio, carpeting)?
* Is the motor and all underhood components in good working order, or will it require mechanical work? If so, what parts?

Secondly, welcome to the forum!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 PM

I have a 70 Monte Carlo and have had it for 24 years and know quite a bit about these cars. That engine and tranny combo is quite rare. Not many of this generation of Monte's came with the 4 speed manual. Having a 402 BB ups the value also.

These cars still are not worth what the Chevelle is worth though. If the body is rough, I wouldn't give more than $3,000 for it and I would only give that much because of the original engine and tranny. Restored you could probably get between $15,000-20,000. If this was an original 454 SS car, it would be worth more.

The problem is, I doubt you would actually make a profit on it if you totally restored it because you would probably have that much in a restoration if you did it right.

Post some pictures. I would like to see it.

Wayne

Old 08-20-2011, 12:53 AM

12,000-20,000. no more than 20 though. likely it is possible to make a profit.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:44 AM

Classic copper original color.
Runs and drives.
Vin on block and 4-speed tranny.

Options include:
· Buckets;
· Console;
· Tilt column;
· Boxed control arms;
· Rear sway bar;
· Tachometer;
· Guages;
· A/C;
· Rear defroster.

Misc:
  • Straight body and frame with no signs of any previous accidents;
· AC compressor and brackets have been removed but are included in the sale along with the original intake manifold;
· Rebuilt motor:
· New bushings;
· New Ball joints;
· New Spring;
· New Shocks;
·HEI ignition;
·New Flowmaster exhaust system;
·New Front end rebuilt.

Needs to be done:
· Original carb is MIA;
· Original intake and the A/C components come with the car but are not on the car.
· Rear control arm bushings needs replacing;
· Body and interior are in need of a full restoration.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:04 PM

by restoration, you mean rust bucket/ bondo work/ Flintstones floor pans?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:44 AM

Pretty much but definately saveable.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 AM

Hi `Al, click below link 2 explore some Monte Big Blocks & Prices ~> Good Luck
CarsOnline.com: 1970 to 1972 Cars For Sale

Click the above link...They have a few Monte's with Big Blogs 4-Sale
Like Below
1972 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
Click above image to open larger version.Contact SalesAdd To FavoritesSend To A FriendPayment CalculatorPrintable BrochureBack To Search
Year: 1972
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: MONTE CARLO</B>
Price: $13,900.00

Chevrolet: Building a Better Way To See The USA" - So Was The Advertising Promotion In 1972 For The Ever Popular Monte Carlo. This Sweet Ride Is Powered By A 1972 396/402 Engine, Automatic Transmission With Floor Shift And Console, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Originally An Air Conditioned Car But Components Are Missing, Under Dash Gauges, AM/FM Radio - Nice Gold Paint With Black Vinyl Top, Light Covert Bucket Seat Interior, Weldwheels With Radials In The Front And BFG Comp TA Tires In The Rear . . PLEASE PHONE AHEAD TO ARRANGE TO VIEW THIS CAR AS IT IS LISTED OFF SITE . . This is a consignment vehicle and the information above was provided by the current owner. We can make no guarantees as to the accuracy of the above information. However, please understand as with all pre-owned automobiles, the described condition is subjective . . . Worldwide Enclosed Transporting/Financing Available

Price: $13,900.00

Old 08-21-2011, 10:09 AM

at my local carhop. i ran into a guy that has a 70 454. hes the original owner with all the paper work. the car is sick. he wants 20g. which i think if you go by those fools on barret jackson is giving the car away considering the 454 cars a rare. i can tell you that 3.5 years ago i offered him 10 in cash and he didnt bat an eye in saying no, but thats a 70 454 car. for a 71 402 id say even in mint condition i would be hesitant offering 10, and surely wouldnt pay 20 for it. muscle cars are one of those things you cant really make money on unless youre doing a bulk of the work yourself, or have something really rare. like if it was a mythical ls6 70 monte that was supposedly never built then you would be talking money no matter what shape its in.

Quick Reply: I need your advice please.