General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

I don't understand this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default I don't understand this?

Hello MCF family. So you may know, I am preparing to move from NJ to Wa. With all the other prep I have to get done for the move, I have to get both cars ready for the 2880 mile drive.
I'm in need of a Ball Joint on the drivers side. I bought a complete Control Arm. But with the weather being what it has been for the last few weeks, I'm not doing the install. I'm trying to conserve $$$ so I thought I would have Pep Boys install just the Ball Joint. After all. In good weather it would take me about 45 min. So how much could it cost?
Well, to install just the Ball Joint would cost $179. But to install the whole Control Arm is only $135. Needless to say, The Control Arm will be installed next W/E. But how can the Big Ashed Control Arm cost less to install than a little Ball Joint? The Control are would take me Double the time to install.
I'm Mix-Fused!

Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Maybe because they can put everything together while not under the car and then just change out the control arm with everything already on it???

Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 PM

the ball joint has to be removed from the old control arm and the new control arm and reinstalled to change the whole arm is less work drop the ball joint bolt the stabilizer link and 2 rear bolts one rear bolt goes up and down other goes side ways better off with whole arm cause bushings in arm are replaced then too. if the end links are old that will need replaced too those come in pair cheap like $12 for a pair.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm with OrangeSS.
I've replaced just a ball joint on modern (94+) FWD GMs. The old/factory ball joint is riveted in. I've drilled the rivets out with the arm in place on the car, but it's easier to pull the arm and do it on a bench.
Where as, removing the and swapping the entire arm is a lot less effort (pending it goes to plan).

Now, if you current control arm has an aftermarket replacement ball joint (which is installed with a nut/bolt combo), then I'd say the job replacing the ball joint should be easier (as it's now all bolt in stuff).

BTW - If you have not planned for it, plan that the stabilizer end links will need replaced. It's not uncommon for the nut/bolt hardware holding that assembly to be seized or snap during removal.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member

I've replace the ball joints on my old 98 Monte LS. As a matter of fact it was the week end before it was totalled. It wasn't hard, and I did it on Jack Stands.
Oh and I was going to remove the New Ball Joint from the new control arm myself. It's only 3 bolts and I could have done it in my living room.
I'm not arguing with you guys, I can see where it could be more time consuming. But as I said, if the weather here was better I would do it myself.
Anyway, I actually have a set of Poly End Links and Stabilizer bushings. I got them from RockAuto.com. Cost me $22 for the 2 sets. I was going to have them put the Poly end link on the drivers side when they install the new control arm. Then I'll do the right side link and the Stabilizer Bushings after I've had a chance to settle in in Wa.
But all my stabilizer bushings are good. Had them checked just 2 weeks ago. But I wanted the Poly! So i got them. Next is to get the Poly Bushings for the Dog Bonez. But that will be in Wa. too.
As I said, I just think that the labor cost is somewhat lopsided. That may be because I have done ball joints before but not a whole Control arm.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What OrangeSS and Maniac said. Replacing the entire Control Arm is less labor intensive (takes less time) so you pay less labor charge.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member

Well its a mute point now that I have found out that the Ball joint it Riveted, or something like that, to the Control arm. Not Bolted on or just slid thru from the bottom!

Old 02-22-2015, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Default Update!

Well I went back to Pep Boys yesterday. Got the passenger side control arm installed. Cost was $332. With a 20% off Members Rewards Coupon, I got the Control arm, Wheel Alignment and Oil Change for, Are you ready for this, $332!
For the first time in the almost 3 years that I have own My Minion, the Wheels are Aligned, the Suspension is Tight, minus drivers side Strut Mount Bearing and the Steering wheel is straight!
Now all I have left to do is 2 Tires, Drivers side strut. Then My Minion will be ready for the first Long Cruise she's been trusted to go on since I purchased her in 2012.
NOW I'm getting Excited!!!!!

Old 02-22-2015, 09:06 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Got to love those coupons!!! Congrats!!
When are you making your cross-country journey?

Old 02-22-2015, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks Barb, we will be leaving on the 23 of March. After everything is packed into the Pod, we are going to spend a couple of days with my kids and Grand Kids in south Jersey. We will be leaving from there!

Quick Reply: I don't understand this?